heart murmur plus prolonged heat

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
      If a kitten with a heart murmur was exposed to prolonged heat (8
      hours) and already had a heart murmur before this incident
      (accident), could this cause MORE damage to the kitten?

      This is a sphynx kitten 14 weeks old, left in a carrier, wearing a
      thick sweater. The carrier may have been in direct sunlight up to 3
      hours. Temps from 80 - 88. The rest of the time 5 hours she was
      moved from the sun onto an airplane. I am not sure what the
      tempature on the airplane was but I do know they should not fly if
      the tempature is above 85 so it cannot be a very cool place on the
      plane.

      When I finally got my hands on her she was almost limp and definatly
      dazzed. I removed the sweater from her and took her to the bathroom
      where I put some cool water under her arms and on her belly. I let
      her have a cool drink. Cooled down the car with air conditioning
      and pulled up to the door to pick her up so. She was hot to the
      touch all night and did not really want to play for two days she
      only sleep and ran to the litter box... very runny stool's for two
      days also.

      She is now playing and purring
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2006
        Sam,

        It depends on a few things, but in general, you want to avoid stressing a
        cat with a murmur wherever possible. You should take her to the vet to be
        absolutely sure. Chances are it didn't make the murmur itself worse on a
        permanent basis, but things like this are cumulative. You did the right
        thing in cooling her down immediately!

        Lisa