Hyperthyroidism and HCM?

  • cattailgal
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
      Phillip was diagnosed with IBD and HCM 3/06. She has since gained 3
      lbs, is chubby, and is hungry all the time. She has arthritis in
      her back, so weight gain is not good. Gradually she's began walking
      slower than usual (in the past she was skittish - running, now she
      walks), so I took her in to have her blood pressure checked. It
      was "low normal", despite the stress of being at the vet and being
      manipulated for the BP test. Thus, her Atenolol is to be decreased
      from 1/2 pill to 1/4 pill daily.

      Is this the only way to "test" whether the heart meds are working
      effectively? The hospital where she saw a cardiologist with the
      diagnosis is two hours away. I'm now back with our family vet.

      The vet repeated a thyroid test yesterday - as it was "high normal"
      when tested in March. It came back 3.9 (control .8-4.0). The vet
      is sending out another FreeT4 test.

      Can someone explain the relationship between thyroid disfunction and
      HCM? I know one is related somehow to the other.

      Thanks,

      Kathleen (and Phillip)
      NE Tenn
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2006
        Kathleen,

        Cats can test negative for the thyroid test and still have a dysfunction of the thyroid. Definitely do the T4 test again and I believe there is another thyroid test called T3 that can be done as well. I don't know if all vets have access to the T3 test. My vet cardiologist told me about it and said it was even more accurate than the T4. You may want to ask about that test too. I do not know the exact relationship with thyroid and HCM but I do know that hyperthyroidism can cause HCM. And sometimes, if it is hyperthyroid and it is successfully treated, the HCM can resolve itself. Not always but quite often it resolves HCM. Warm wishes to you and Phillip!

        Leah and her cats

        cattailgal <Raven26@...> wrote:
[...]

        Cat health insurance Cat health care Pet health cat Cat health Heart conditions Health problem in cat