Re: [FH] Weight Loss

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
      Cathy,

      I remember those days but nobody was willing to make us take that stuff.

      I would think that too much oil would upset the stomach and give them the
      "runs."

      I have gradually worked her up to 0.35ml twice daily. Maybe start with 0.1
      to 0.2ml once a day and see how he tolerates it.

      Also - I use Grizzly Oil
      (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Grizzly-Salmon-Oil-for-Dogs/117001.a
      spx - Cat & Dog versions are the same), but have heard good things about
      Kronch
      (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Kronch-Wild-Salmon-Oil/160001.aspx)
      and Only Natural
      (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Salmon-Oil/999060.a
      spx)

      The bottles are big and a bit difficult to use. I pour a bit into an empty
      baby food jar. It's easy to fill the syringe from that, plus you have a lid
      so it doesn't pick up smells in the fridge. (Keep it refrigerated - it
      lasts longer & doesn't taste quite as bad.)

      Sue

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
        Hi Brice,

        In a message dated 6/2/06 10:10:33 AM, bricewillis@... writes:

        > My guy has HCM and has been losing some weight lately.

        About how much weight do you think he's lost? (That is, do you have a scale
        at home or has the vet been weighing him?)

        > I have also not
        > seen him eating as much

        Do you have a sense of how much he's eating?

        Just in general, the "average" adult cat needs *about* 20-30 calories per lb
        of ideal body weight per day, adjusted for the individual (metabolism, energy
        level, activity, age, etc). Most canned foods are about 30-35 calories per oz.
        Dry foods vary widely. It's a good idea to keep a general sense of how much
        the cat is eating (not that you have to be compulsive about it...just to have
        an awareness). B/c if the cat is eating in or above his calorie range...and
        still losing...that's a diff. issue than if the cat is eating under the range.

        > and am trying to figure out if it is directly
        > from the disease or from a lack of appetite that might be caused from
        > the medication or the disease.

        Could be either of those or both (or neither). Medications can cause
        digestive upset and nausea, which affects appetite. But that can be managed with some
        simple and usually effective remedies such as slippery elm bark (among others,
        depending on what the problems are besides the weight loss). It's also
        important for all cats, but esp cats with a chronic illness like heart disease, to
        eat a high-quality, meat-based, species-appropriate diet so that they can
        derive the nutrients they need in a form they can use.

        If you'd like some information about nutrition, some links incl:

        1. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
        2. www.catinfo.org
        3. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
        4. http://rocquoone.com/diet_and_health.htm
        5. www.advancepetfood.com.au/nutrition
        6. ww.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?siteid=0&gid=74&ref=2066&subref=AN

        // Rosemary

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2007
          Katy,

          The diltiazem could bother him all of a sudden? He's been on it for almost 2 yrs. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

          Dana & Leroy

          Katy van <katy_van@...> wrote:
          my guess is the diltazem, belle took it for a short time (the took her off atenolol because she started having asthma attacks and wanted to see if the atenolol was the problem- it wasnt the attacks continued she was taken off all heart meds for 2 months went to an IM put on flovent, attacks resolved and put back on atenolol). belle lost a pound in a month too while taking the diltazem, she gained it all back once off of it. in retrospect i would have given slippery elm bark syrup and hour before the diltazem but back then i was afraid to use it.
          >^..^<
          katy & belle

          ---------------------------------
          From: "danamcmk" <danamcmk@...>
          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [FH] Weight Loss
          Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:15:02 -0000

          Leroy has lost over 1# since his last Dr visit 4/7, he's now under
          10#. Dr was very pleased at that visit on his re-check for his
          asthma. He's HCM, on minimum flovent, 1/4 diltiazem & the heart
          supplements. His last echo was 12/06 & normal measurements. I moved
          up his already scheduled echo 2 weeks to 5/31. He acts perfectly
          fine, just not eating much. Still chases bugs out in the fields, etc.
          Ideas?

          Dana & Leroy

          #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;} #ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs {font-family:Arial;clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav {padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a {padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar {clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left {float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld {font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft {font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft {font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666;padding:5px 0;} #ygrp-mlmsg #logo {padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital {background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px
          8px;} #ygrp-vital #vithd {font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul {padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li {list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee;} #ygrp-vital ul li .ct {font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat {font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-vital a {text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover {text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd {color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov {padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li {list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc {background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad {padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1
          {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a {text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover {text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p {margin:0;} o {font-size:0;} .MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;} blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4;}