Re: [FH] Weight Loss

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
      Brice,

      I've found that with the warmer weather we're having now, Pepper's appetite
      has dropped off a bit. It seems that I need to keep the a/c on for her to
      be comfortable. She doesn't seem to be able to control her body temperature
      that well since she's been sick.

      Also, there's a side-effect of heart disease called cachexia or
      muscle-wasting. I give Pepper omega oils such as salmon oil to help slow it
      down. That definitely has made a difference for her.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- Hi Sue

        I didn't know that!

        Cachexia is loss of weight, muscle wasting, fatigue, weakness and
        anorexia (not anorexia nervosa) in someone who is not actively
        trying to lose weight.

        This is what gave me an uneasy feeling with Jinx. I kept telling
        everyone that when you picked him up, he had no weight or substance
        to him! Even blood tests could not confirm what was wrong with him
        until a murmur showed up.......and then the appropriate tests were
        run.

        I have salmon oil and he will not touch it. Will have to find a way
        to sneak this in his food.

        Cathy

        In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...> wrote:

        > Brice,
        >
        > I've found that with the warmer weather we're having now, Pepper's
        appetite
        > has dropped off a bit. It seems that I need to keep the a/c on
        for her to
        > be comfortable. She doesn't seem to be able to control her body
        temperature
        > that well since she's been sick.
        >
        > Also, there's a side-effect of heart disease called cachexia or
        > muscle-wasting. I give Pepper omega oils such as salmon oil to
        help slow it
        > down. That definitely has made a difference for her.
        >

        > Sue

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
          Cathy,

          Pepper hates the salmon oil too. I give it to her twice daily with an oral
          syringe and follow it with a tasty treat.

          Sue

          Cachexia is loss of weight, muscle wasting, fatigue, weakness and
          anorexia (not anorexia nervosa) in someone who is not actively
          trying to lose weight.

          This is what gave me an uneasy feeling with Jinx. I kept telling
          everyone that when you picked him up, he had no weight or substance
          to him! Even blood tests could not confirm what was wrong with him
          until a murmur showed up.......and then the appropriate tests were
          run.

          I have salmon oil and he will not touch it. Will have to find a way
          to sneak this in his food.

          Cathy

          In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...> wrote:

          > Brice,
          >
          > I've found that with the warmer weather we're having now, Pepper's
          appetite
          > has dropped off a bit. It seems that I need to keep the a/c on
          for her to
          > be comfortable. She doesn't seem to be able to control her body
          temperature
          > that well since she's been sick.
          >
          > Also, there's a side-effect of heart disease called cachexia or
          > muscle-wasting. I give Pepper omega oils such as salmon oil to
          help slow it
          > down. That definitely has made a difference for her.
          >

          > Sue

        • lorkatz2004
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
            ---
            Good Idea! Thanks Sue.......reminds me of my grandmother giving us
            kids cod liver oil.......yuck... but it was good for us.

            How much would you give with this syringe?? I have a blunt end one
            that I give Jinx water after giving him his meds. I will just get
            another and use it for the salmon oil. Can you give too much salmon
            oil and cause runny bowels???

            thanks - cathy

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
              Cathy,

              I remember those days but nobody was willing to make us take that stuff.

              I would think that too much oil would upset the stomach and give them the
              "runs."

              I have gradually worked her up to 0.35ml twice daily. Maybe start with 0.1
              to 0.2ml once a day and see how he tolerates it.

              Also - I use Grizzly Oil
              (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Grizzly-Salmon-Oil-for-Dogs/117001.a
              spx - Cat & Dog versions are the same), but have heard good things about
              Kronch
              (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Kronch-Wild-Salmon-Oil/160001.aspx)
              and Only Natural
              (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Salmon-Oil/999060.a
              spx)

              The bottles are big and a bit difficult to use. I pour a bit into an empty
              baby food jar. It's easy to fill the syringe from that, plus you have a lid
              so it doesn't pick up smells in the fridge. (Keep it refrigerated - it
              lasts longer & doesn't taste quite as bad.)

              Sue

            • savionna@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
                Hi Brice,

                In a message dated 6/2/06 10:10:33 AM, bricewillis@... writes:

                > My guy has HCM and has been losing some weight lately.

                About how much weight do you think he's lost? (That is, do you have a scale
                at home or has the vet been weighing him?)

                > I have also not
                > seen him eating as much

                Do you have a sense of how much he's eating?

                Just in general, the "average" adult cat needs *about* 20-30 calories per lb
                of ideal body weight per day, adjusted for the individual (metabolism, energy
                level, activity, age, etc). Most canned foods are about 30-35 calories per oz.
                Dry foods vary widely. It's a good idea to keep a general sense of how much
                the cat is eating (not that you have to be compulsive about it...just to have
                an awareness). B/c if the cat is eating in or above his calorie range...and
                still losing...that's a diff. issue than if the cat is eating under the range.

                > and am trying to figure out if it is directly
                > from the disease or from a lack of appetite that might be caused from
                > the medication or the disease.

                Could be either of those or both (or neither). Medications can cause
                digestive upset and nausea, which affects appetite. But that can be managed with some
                simple and usually effective remedies such as slippery elm bark (among others,
                depending on what the problems are besides the weight loss). It's also
                important for all cats, but esp cats with a chronic illness like heart disease, to
                eat a high-quality, meat-based, species-appropriate diet so that they can
                derive the nutrients they need in a form they can use.

                If you'd like some information about nutrition, some links incl:

                1. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
                2. www.catinfo.org
                3. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
                4. http://rocquoone.com/diet_and_health.htm
                5. www.advancepetfood.com.au/nutrition
                6. ww.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?siteid=0&gid=74&ref=2066&subref=AN

                // Rosemary

              • Dana McCormick
                Message 7 of 7 , May 23, 2007
                  Katy,

                  The diltiazem could bother him all of a sudden? He's been on it for almost 2 yrs. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

                  Dana & Leroy

                  Katy van <katy_van@...> wrote:
                  my guess is the diltazem, belle took it for a short time (the took her off atenolol because she started having asthma attacks and wanted to see if the atenolol was the problem- it wasnt the attacks continued she was taken off all heart meds for 2 months went to an IM put on flovent, attacks resolved and put back on atenolol). belle lost a pound in a month too while taking the diltazem, she gained it all back once off of it. in retrospect i would have given slippery elm bark syrup and hour before the diltazem but back then i was afraid to use it.
                  >^..^<
                  katy & belle

                  ---------------------------------
                  From: "danamcmk" <danamcmk@...>
                  To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:15:02 -0000

                  Leroy has lost over 1# since his last Dr visit 4/7, he's now under
                  10#. Dr was very pleased at that visit on his re-check for his
                  asthma. He's HCM, on minimum flovent, 1/4 diltiazem & the heart
                  supplements. His last echo was 12/06 & normal measurements. I moved
                  up his already scheduled echo 2 weeks to 5/31. He acts perfectly
                  fine, just not eating much. Still chases bugs out in the fields, etc.
                  Ideas?

                  Dana & Leroy

                  #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;} #ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs {font-family:Arial;clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav {padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a {padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar {clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left {float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld {font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft {font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft {font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666;padding:5px 0;} #ygrp-mlmsg #logo {padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital {background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px
                  8px;} #ygrp-vital #vithd {font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul {padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li {list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee;} #ygrp-vital ul li .ct {font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat {font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-vital a {text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover {text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd {color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov {padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li {list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc {background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad {padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1
                  {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a {text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover {text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p {margin:0;} o {font-size:0;} .MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;} blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4;}