Re: [FH] I have a rather off-topic question....could we discuss cat litter?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31 7:16 PM
      Hi Diane,

      In a message dated 5/31/06 7:46:05 AM, diane@... writes:

      > At 8:52 AM -0400 5/30/06, savionna@... wrote:
      > >
      > >I don't like any of the pine products b/c of the chance of residue. I know
      > >some mfrs say they are completely safe and many people use them. I just
      > stay
      > >away from them. // Rosemary
      >
      > Can you elaborate on the residue?

      "Residue" was a badly chosen word. What I meant was that there has always
      been controversy about wood litters containing oils or phenols that could be
      harmful to a cat's liver or respiratory tract (based in part on reactions from
      rabbits and rodents). I don't know if it's true...mfrs of wood litters claim that
      their products are safe...but I just avoid wood litters in the event that
      there is risk. There are a number of other plant litters with less risk that work
      well, such as those made from corn or wheat (providing the cat is not
      allergic to grains)...or those made from paper. // Rosemary