Re: [FH] Re: cat litter

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2006
      Hi Janie,

      I'm sorry about Boomer and the litter.

      In a message dated 5/30/06 7:02:25 PM, sockster@... writes:

      > She had blood
      > test which were all normal but her glucose was high. We did an xray and
      > found cat litter in her intestines. We did an ultra sound of her heart
      > and she was ok. He sent the blood off as they say blood glucose can be
      > high in the drs office this test makes sure shes not diabetic.

      That's true. Stress can raise blood glucose. The test he probably ran was a
      fructosamine, which takes an average over several weeks.

      > Now he said I needed to switch her litter and maybe it was
      > the start of pancreas problems.

      Does the cat have symptoms of a pancreas problem? Pancreatitis can be very
      difficult to detect. Diabetes, the other major pancreas problem, is relatively
      easy.

      If the cat is suspect for diabetes (even if transient or intermittent, b/c
      fructosamines are not 100% foolproof) and/or other pancreatic problems, it would
      be important to make sure she's on a quality, species-appropriate diet. //
      Rosemary