Re: [FH] The use of CoEnzyme Q10

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 7:14 PM
      Hi Brice,

      In a message dated 5/30/06 7:05:34 PM, bricewillis@... writes:

      > I am considering starting my HCM cat on CoEnzyme Q10 and am wondering
      > about dosage and form for administration.

      Dosage can vary...but a typical cat dose is about 30mg/day.

      > Can I purchase this at a
      > regular human drug store

      Yes. Q10 comes in two forms: dry powder and softgels, which have the nutrient
      in an oil base (which helps absorption, but you can achieve the same thing by
      feeding at the same time you give the Q10. Most canned cat foods have a good
      quantity of fat). The powder is generally less expensive. I stick with the
      more reputable brands, as they generally have fewer additives (eg Country Life,
      Source Naturals, Solgar, Jarrow). I buy a large mg amt (like 100)...so I can
      give a small volume for the cat dose. With the powder, you just open the cap,
      sprinkle out what you want, then reclose the cap.

      > and sprinkle the capsule on his food?

      That depends on the cat. Some cats don't mind the taste, some do...and you
      don't want to do anything to put the cat off a meal. So...a safe way to try it
      out is to mix the Q10 in a small amt of meal food that you give separately from
      the meal itself. Or you can mix it in some treat the cat enjoys, eg pure-meat
      baby food or goat-milk yoghurt, then feed a meal.

      > Is
      > there a preferable form for administration?

      Not as far as I'm concerned (just my opinion). Softgels cost more for the
      convenience of having the fat already provided...and then the mfrs can gush about
      increased absorption (in humans). We don't know that much about cats.

      > Are there any drugs for
      > which CoEnzyme Q10 may be contra-indicated for use with?

      It may reduce the need for enalapril (in humans). // Rosemary