Re: [FH] Blacky died after fight update

  • rn1durham
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28 9:12 PM
      The lawfulness of keeping a cat outdoors unleashed varies greatly!
      Especially in rural areas. And sadly, there are a lot of shelters
      that will adopt out intact cats, insane as that is. My sister was
      shocked to learn that the small town she lives in has a shelter which
      has a high kill rate AND does not require spay/neuter for adoptees. D'oh!

      Amanda, people are total asswipes (pardon me) when it comes to
      animals. I remember years ago my mother stopped speaking to older
      relatives who refused to find a home for their cat when they moved.
      Basically, they turned the poor thing out into the snowy winter and
      forbid her to help. My mother trapped him herself after they left and
      found him a home where he is still very happy.

      My advice would be to talk to an ACO (animal control officer) about
      your situation, and encourage him/her to talk to your neighbors. They
      are usually very willing to mediate sitatuations like this, especially
      since the cat is aggressive. Find out if you are within your rights
      to trap the cat should he enter your property. As much as I love the
      idea of having him neutered yourself, it could make you vulnerable to
      legal issues. Turn him over to a shelter (or adoption organization)
      which DOES neuter.

      Good luck!

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Shannon" <shannon5@...> wrote:

      > It most areas it is illegal to let a cat outside if not on a leash.
      You
      > have every right to take their cat and bring it to a shelter. And many
      > shelters will not let owners claim uneutered animals, especially cats.
      >
      > Shannon
      > Daisy: Maine Coon mix, 4-1/2 years old, diagnosed at age 1-1/2,
      asymptomatic
      > HCM, 6.25 mg atenolol and 10 mg CoQ10 daily

      Amanda