Oxygen therapy

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2006
      Hey all,

      I just bought something on Ebay after I got an idea in my head. I thought I would run it by all of you to see what you think. I am thinking of giving oxygen therapy to Alec daily. I am not sure how many times a day, I wanted to hear from you all. I bought a gadget on Ebay called Dr. Oxygen that produces oxygen by way of chemical reaction. It is an FDA approved device and when you mix chemical A & B with water, oxygen is produced and transmitted through tubing and a mask to a person, or in this case, a kitty. It gives a 10 minute oxygen therapy session with each reaction. I figure it can't hurt him and at his advanced stage of the disease, it could only help. What do you think?

      Leah and her cats

    • jen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2006
        Leah,

        Sorry, I haven't been on list at all recently and don't know
        anything about Alec's story, but I wouldn't recommend daily oxygen
        unless he is in crisis. Once their body adjusts to having that
        extra "boost" it is less effective in times of crisis.

        As a paramedic, we see the problem regularily in people who are on
        home O2. They keep increasing their base amount until they have to
        call us because they adjust to the new levels and can't increase
        their intake anymore in times of crisis and they can't tolerate or
        compensate at a lower level at all.

        However, if he is having acute trouble breathing, or a particularily
        rough day, using the O2 tank, might prevent stress, which could
        increase his heartrate and worsen the problem.

        Just my thoughts, hugs for Alec

        jen, deagan and angel kira the dog
      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2006
          Jen,

          Thank you for the information! Very helpful! I will keep the oxygen for emergencies only. He does have a bad breathing day every now and then so that is what I will use it for. I also got it for my husband who has asthma and also has a bad breathing day every now and then - mostly when things start to bloom outside! Well, at least that is what I told my husband to explain the contraption I bought! He he he. It was really all for Alec!

          Leah and her cats

          jen <lundgren_jennifer@...> wrote:
          Leah,

          Sorry, I haven't been on list at all recently and don't know
          anything about Alec's story, but I wouldn't recommend daily oxygen
          unless he is in crisis. Once their body adjusts to having that
          extra "boost" it is less effective in times of crisis.

          As a paramedic, we see the problem regularily in people who are on
          home O2. They keep increasing their base amount until they have to
          call us because they adjust to the new levels and can't increase
          their intake anymore in times of crisis and they can't tolerate or
          compensate at a lower level at all.

          However, if he is having acute trouble breathing, or a particularily
          rough day, using the O2 tank, might prevent stress, which could
          increase his heartrate and worsen the problem.

          Just my thoughts, hugs for Alec

          jen, deagan and angel kira the dog

          Cat health insurance Cat health care Pet health cat Cat health Heart conditions Health problem in cat