Re: [FH] update Sweetie

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 11:54 AM
      Christine,

      That is wonderful that Sweetie is showing interest in food. Her meds must be helping her. However, keep watch over her eating, if she starts feeling bad again, her eating may be your first sign of trouble. There are other things to watch to look for trouble too, the most important being her breathing. You do not want to have her be in severe CHF. A normal cat's respirations per minute is 20-30. When she is at rest, not purring or dreaming as this will increase her breathes, count her breathes per minute. Do this several times a day for a few days to get what you think is her normal breathing pattern without fluid in her lungs. When fluid starts retaining in her lungs, the breathes per minute will increase. For my Alec, I know that anything over 30 means fluid in his lungs and he needs an increased dosage of Lasix. You will get to be able to just look at her and know when she has fluids in her lungs, I can do it now by timing and intensity. When there is fluid in Alec's
      lungs, his breathes are harder and he uses his belly too. You should work with your vet/cardiologist to figure out what is an appropriate lasix dosage when this happens.

      Do not feel like a fool for not knowing what to do! We have all been there and that is why we are now here! We are taught to trust our professionals in whatever field they are in i.e. doctors, lawyers, vets, etc. This is not a bad thing but it does not hurt to check things out yourself too. I think I can speak for everyone in this group when I say that we have learned things on this board that our vets/cardiologists know nothing about or don't recommend but end up working anyways.

      Leah and her cats