Re: [FH] Lilly, new member

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2006
      Moriah,

      You're not cursed. The cats recognize you as a caring person and they come
      to you for help. They choose you!

      I never ask the cardiologist for a prognosis. First, it's truly just a
      guess and second, I don't want to know. They told you 2-3 years. What if
      she does well and you're at the 3-year mark. Won't that make you crazy
      waiting for something to go wrong?

      Ignore the prognosis and stop feeling bad. Give Lilly the love and care she
      hasn't had before and make her life pleasurable. If she is meant to be
      adopted, then that person will find her.

      Right now, try to give her a good-quality canned-food diet with supplements
      like CoQ10 to help her heart stay strong. She will know that you are doing
      the best you can.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2006
        Hi Moriah,

        In a message dated 5/3/06 7:49:07 PM, moriahkeith@... writes:

        << The

        vet said that her prognosis is guarded to grave and that she could

        maybe live 2-3 more years. >>

        It's very difficult to predict longevity for anyone...and cats don't really
        think in those terms. What's important is that she fulfills her life, no matter
        how long it is.

        << I am so sad for Lilly. >>

        I know, Moriah. It is sad. But Lilly is more than her sick body. Inside is a
        beautiful, strong, loving Lilly.

        << She hasn't had a good life so far. >>

        I'm sorry she has had so much difficulty. Now she can start to have a better
        life, with you. You can show her the compassion and respect she has missed
        till now.

        << I am also nervous that she could die at any time. >>

        That's possible, and it's certainly understandable for you to feel that way.
        But do you think you could find some time each day to not feel nervous about
        her and enjoy her company?

        << I think I may be cursed. >>

        I hope you can also feel that you are incredibly blessed. Animals who are
        sick come to you when they need help. They know you will care for them and love
        them...and they love you as well.

        Thank you for taking in Lilly and taking care of her. // Rosemary
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2006
          Just a quick note to share that yesterday afternoon I began hand feeding my
          cat. I did it three times and left food out when I went to bed. When I woke
          up she had eaten a small dish of tuna fish and also ate 3/8 oz. of dry food
          and drank water also. Her breathing is normal with no wheezing at all. She
          is acting normal. I am going to get canned wet food today and maybe she will
          eat more of that on her own. I am shocked at her turn-around after the hand
          feeding. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and knowledge. I now feel like a
          fool for just doing what my vet said rather than researching it on my own as
          I do with the medical and wellness care of me, my husband, kids and our
          parents. I didn't dream a list such as this existed. Thanks to everyone,
          Christine

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2006
            Christine,

            That is wonderful that Sweetie is showing interest in food. Her meds must be helping her. However, keep watch over her eating, if she starts feeling bad again, her eating may be your first sign of trouble. There are other things to watch to look for trouble too, the most important being her breathing. You do not want to have her be in severe CHF. A normal cat's respirations per minute is 20-30. When she is at rest, not purring or dreaming as this will increase her breathes, count her breathes per minute. Do this several times a day for a few days to get what you think is her normal breathing pattern without fluid in her lungs. When fluid starts retaining in her lungs, the breathes per minute will increase. For my Alec, I know that anything over 30 means fluid in his lungs and he needs an increased dosage of Lasix. You will get to be able to just look at her and know when she has fluids in her lungs, I can do it now by timing and intensity. When there is fluid in Alec's
            lungs, his breathes are harder and he uses his belly too. You should work with your vet/cardiologist to figure out what is an appropriate lasix dosage when this happens.

            Do not feel like a fool for not knowing what to do! We have all been there and that is why we are now here! We are taught to trust our professionals in whatever field they are in i.e. doctors, lawyers, vets, etc. This is not a bad thing but it does not hurt to check things out yourself too. I think I can speak for everyone in this group when I say that we have learned things on this board that our vets/cardiologists know nothing about or don't recommend but end up working anyways.

            Leah and her cats