Lilly, new member

  • moriahkeith
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3 4:46 PM
      I have a new foster named Lilly who is a 1-2 year old DLH calico.
      When she was spayed in 3-06, the vet noted a VI/VI heart murmur. I
      took her for a cardiology consult today at Ohio State Veterinary
      Hospital and got bad news about the nature of her heart disease. The
      vet said that her prognosis is guarded to grave and that she could
      maybe live 2-3 more years. The echo showed both a VSD and left
      ventricular hypertrophy which the cardiologist said was rare as a
      combination and would preclude surgery being an option. He also said
      she has borderline CHF although she does not have any symptoms yet.
      The chest x-ray showed increased interstitial infiltrates in the
      cranial lung fields noted to be questionable edema. He prescribed
      1/4 of a 12.5 mg Lasix every other day and 2.5 mg of Enalapril
      daily. He told me to have another renal panel done in 1-2 weeks (the
      one done today is still pending) and to come back for a repeat chest
      x-ray and echo in 3-4 months.

      I am so sad for Lilly. She hasn't had a good life so far. Her
      original owner tossed her out of a car window. Her well-meaning
      rescuer kept her in a bathroom for a year, and now her life will be
      cut really short. I am also nervous that she could die at any time.
      I am also worried about how I can get her adopted to a quiet,
      peaceful home for the rest of her life. I have 17 cats and right
      now, I have her in my bedroom with two other fosters. I worry that
      this may also be too stressful to her. Does anyone have a kitty with
      similar heart defects? Does anyone have any ideas of how I can
      improve her life expectancy? Am I doing everything I can?
      Fortunately and unfortunately, I belong to the feline cancer and
      anemia groups. One of my cats is being treated for mammary cancer
      and one for a viral disease that caused severe anemia. I think I may
      be cursed. :( Thanks for any advice I can get in advance.

      Moriah and Lilly
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 8:57 AM
        Moriah,

        As others have mentioned, you are not cursed. It takes a very special
        person to care for ill pets the way you do, and the universe knew what it
        was doing when it directed these cats to your home. Most people are not
        willing or able to deal with this kind of thing.

        You got Lilly the help she needed, and her meds look right for her stage of
        the disease. In addition to meds there are complementary therapies you can
        try, such as supplements. Many of us use/used these with great effect -- I
        recommend coenzyme q10 (60-100 mg per day), taurine and l-carnitine (250 mg
        per day each).

        You can't live by prognosis. My cat, Baby Boy, passed away at the end of
        last November but when he was diagnosed was given a month or two to live.
        His heart was in terrible shape. He lived for fifteen months after
        diagnosis, a full year longer than he was supposed to. So, you never know.

        As Rosemary said, if there is a good home out there for her, it will be
        found. Bless you for taking care of that little girl ... whatever time she
        has left will be good for her, thanks to you :)

        Lisa

        On 5/3/06, moriahkeith <moriahkeith@...> wrote:

        > I have a new foster named Lilly who is a 1-2 year old DLH calico.
        > When she was spayed in 3-06, the vet noted a VI/VI heart murmur. I
        > took her for a cardiology consult today at Ohio State Veterinary
        > Hospital and got bad news about the nature of her heart disease.

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4 12:50 PM
          Moriah,

          Bless your heart for taking in all those kitties! I don't think I could keep up with the litter because the 5 I have keep me scooping enough. I would definitely NOT say you were cursed. For having that many cats and only having 3 with problems, I think you are doing pretty good. If you were to put 17 people in a room and only three had a health problem, that would be a miracle!

          I think you are doing a great job with Moriah. You seem to be doing everything you can for her and loving her is the greatest gift of them all. The wonderful thing about cats is they don't have self pity for their illnesses, unlike us. If you want to know about some supplements you can give to help her, let us know. They won't cure her but they can only help her. Hang in there! You are doing a great job!

          Leah and her cats