Re: [FH] Intro: help new diagnosis Hypertrophic Myopathy

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2006
      Christine,

      Hello and welcome. Leah wrote you a very thorough note. As she said, the
      veterinary community has limited knowledge and experience with heart
      disease. Please try to get to a cardiologist (or an internist) to get a
      definitive diagnosis and to get proper medication. The person who diagnosed
      my cat - while meaning well - did not prescribe the correct medications and
      it could have caused her harm in the long run.

      It sounds like she needs lasix and other medicines to control her heart.
      Lasix stays in the body around 6 hours.

      Find a Cardiologist - http://www.p4p.org/
      Find an internist - http://www.acvim.org/index.aspx?id=174

      It seems that a lot of people encounter the same reaction with their vet -
      that the cat is doomed and won't be around for long. My girl was diagnosed
      just over 1-1/2 years ago. She was showing symptoms for at least a year
      before that but nobody could figure out what was wrong. Although she
      continues to slow down and her heart is pretty bad, she still gets around
      and enjoys herself. In fact, she almost caught a chipmunk this morning!

      The weight factor is important. My Pepper weighed about 18-1/4 pounds when
      she was diagnosed. I had her on a combination of canned and dry food.
      Since joining this group and learning about feline nutrition, I have
      eliminated the dry food. Once I did that, she lost weight even though I
      never restricted how much she ate. She weighs about 14-1/2 pounds - a good
      weight for her. Dry food contains grains which are not good for cats. The
      analogy that I use is that feeding your cat grains and by-products is like
      feeding your kids soda and candy bars. They get calories but no nutritional
      value.

      As Leah said, be sure that the baby food you give her does NOT contain
      onions. They are toxic to cats.

      From your description, it sounds like your cat is doing better. If she
      wants to eat, then that's excellent!!!

      If you still need it, here's the link for the Yahoo Feline Assisted Feeding
      group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/

      Someone also posted information on getting a cat to eat
      http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0BlZRMCorR4Q3i2Y_ynbzYPTt8sj7AC8cTnuqNf_U3NXa7Z
      GFe_FJiuCvMzUmifs2L08G3tZnOD8v8woppYdeM5ZHbqNt9xTz01LHOc/food-tips

      There is also information such as what to as the cardiologist and general
      information on cardiomyopathy
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/files/

      And finally, here's an old post with information on feline nutrition and
      recommendations for good-quality canned foods
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/message/23568

      If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post them.

      Sue