For Kimberly: RCM and Burmese cats

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006
      For some reason, Kimberly never receives any emails I send, so I'm
      replying to her email here. She had asked me about Morag, who died
      of RCM almost two years ago. Morag was Burmese, and Q-tip, who has
      RCM, is also Burmese, so she wondered about a potential link between
      RCM and Burmese cats. Here is my reply:

      Morag's story is similar to
      Q-tip's. As the story said, we noticed Morag was
      breathing quickly, but we initially we put it down to
      the hot, humid weather at the time. Apart from that,
      she looked and behaved fine. We were completely
      shocked when we took her in for her annual exam and
      were told that not only did she have heart disease,
      but was already in CHF.

      Also, like Q-tip, she was initially diagnosed with
      HCM. The cardiologist, who did another echo, changed
      the diagnosis to RCM. The cardio said she'd only ever
      seen one other heart like Morag's in her entire
      career, and guess what? It was also in a Burmese cat.
      So I've been convinced since then that there's a link
      between RCM and Burmese cats. Someone will have to
      study it--it could be just one bad hereditary line, or
      maybe there's something about them that predisposes
      them to RCM. Who knows?

      Yes, Morag hated taking her pills. We also compounded
      her medications, but we were told by the cardiologist
      that heart medication shouldn't be given using
      transdermal gels because there are no supporting
      studies to say that the gels work. My regular vet
      concurred. So we changed over to compounded treats,
      which Morag loved. We kept around some of the gel for
      those times when she temporarily lost her appetite,
      but that was just a stop-gap measure until she'd eat
      the treats again. So you may want to consider
      switching over to compounded treats, or even trying
      Pill Pockets.

      I'm sorry to hear that Q-tip has RCM. Feel free to ask
      me any questions about my experience with Morag.

      And if you find out anything more about a connection
      between Burmese cats and RCM, I'd love to hear it.
      Maybe we can get someone interested in studying it.
      Breeders of Burmese cats should be made more aware,
      too.

      Kimberly: If you have any software running that kills spam, or are
      using Outlook and have it set to automatically delete email that it
      considers "Junk", that might be the problem. Add my email address to
      any safe senders lists you may be maintaining.

      Sarah.