[FH] Re: Trandermal meds

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2006
      > My cat, Max takes transdermal diltiazem and is doing incredibly
      well. (he
      > also takes lasix 2x daily) He doesn't have any stomach upset
      issues with the
      > transdermal. I don't know how much it has been studied or whether
      he
      > actually gets his full dose. I can only state that he is doing
      really well.
      > Maybe it is a last resort, however. I don't know.

      I'm glad he's doing well. I'm just relaying what I was told by the
      cardiologist and my regular vet, and what the article that someone
      else posted states. There haven't been any studies to see how well
      the medication is absorbed and how much of the medication is
      actually absorbed, when applied transdermally. So most vets don't
      like the
      medication to be applied that way unless it's absolutely necessary.
      The cardiologist's report told us to switch to some other compounded
      form. We switched Morag to compounded treats and those worked well.
      The only problem was when she went through periods of decreased
      appetite, so we did keep around some transdermal for those times as
      a stop-gap measure, and used it until she started to eat again.

      Sarah.
    • froggymeowmeow
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2006
        --- I

        The only treats Q-tip will eat are the katzcheese cheddar cheese
        crunchy ones. She will eat melted cheese and tuna on baked
        lays..that's our emergency food when she doesn't feel good.