Re: [FH] Re: Trandermal meds

  • Betty Seni
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2006
      My cat, Max takes transdermal diltiazem and is doing incredibly well. (he
      also takes lasix 2x daily) He doesn't have any stomach upset issues with the
      transdermal. I don't know how much it has been studied or whether he
      actually gets his full dose. I can only state that he is doing really well.
      Maybe it is a last resort, however. I don't know.
      Betty
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2006
        Q-tip id so hard to pill when she gets in her moods, and I could not get
        the dilitazem down her. It was such a fight that the dilitazem in the
        tramsdermal seemed to be a life saver to me. She will not eat treats at
        all, so that is not an option.

        [Cannon,Kimberly]

        >> Not all meds are candidates for transdermal application, plus
        >> the absorption of transdermal meds has not been studied much.
        >
        > We originally had Morag's heart medications compounded into
        > transdermal gels, but when we saw the cardiologist, she told us to
        > switch it to treats or liquid because they aren't sure how much of the
        > medication is actually absorbed. There aren't any studies addressing
        > this. So transdermal gels should be the absolute last choice. Try
        > compounded treats or liquid first.
        >
        > Sarah.

        > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Cat
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health+insurance&w1=Cat+health+insu
        rance&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions
        &w6=Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=jCcdGI6DrfclZUZfEbhKjQ> health
        insurance Cat
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health+care&w1=Cat+health+insurance
        &w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=H
        ealth+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=sHAUYnOXqX421iiMASQuIw> health care
        Pet
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Pet+health+cat&w1=Cat+health+insurance&
        w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=He
        alth+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=Lcs7tukQKLtd6OGdgxZoJw> health cat
        Cat
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health&w1=Cat+health+insurance&w2=C
        at+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=Health
        +problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=frCXB-F06hVpm6m8Rmdyvw> health Heart
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Heart+conditions&w1=Cat+health+insuranc
        e&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=
        Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=_zAGI3mljEo4tgsaN5zYFw> conditions
        Health
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Health+problem+in+cat&w1=Cat+health+ins
        urance&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+condition
        s&w6=Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=UASqf76JeCyHxX8J7sXBdA> problem in
        cat

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group " feline-heart
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2006
          > My cat, Max takes transdermal diltiazem and is doing incredibly
          well. (he
          > also takes lasix 2x daily) He doesn't have any stomach upset
          issues with the
          > transdermal. I don't know how much it has been studied or whether
          he
          > actually gets his full dose. I can only state that he is doing
          really well.
          > Maybe it is a last resort, however. I don't know.

          I'm glad he's doing well. I'm just relaying what I was told by the
          cardiologist and my regular vet, and what the article that someone
          else posted states. There haven't been any studies to see how well
          the medication is absorbed and how much of the medication is
          actually absorbed, when applied transdermally. So most vets don't
          like the
          medication to be applied that way unless it's absolutely necessary.
          The cardiologist's report told us to switch to some other compounded
          form. We switched Morag to compounded treats and those worked well.
          The only problem was when she went through periods of decreased
          appetite, so we did keep around some transdermal for those times as
          a stop-gap measure, and used it until she started to eat again.

          Sarah.
        • froggymeowmeow
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2006
            --- I

            The only treats Q-tip will eat are the katzcheese cheddar cheese
            crunchy ones. She will eat melted cheese and tuna on baked
            lays..that's our emergency food when she doesn't feel good.