Ailing, elderly cat--food suggestions? A little OT

  • howdeeeyall@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      My 17-year-old Smoky is ailing and has lost a lot of weight. He's not
      eating very much at all for the past few days. We just went to the vet for exam
      and bloodwork--won't get results for a day or two. He may have hyperT though
      does not show signs of it, and may have kidney disease. In the meantime,
      he's barely eating anything. Suggestions would be great.

      (He is not a heart kitty, though he does have a slight murmur.)

      I've given him his favorite canned foods--Wellness, Natural Balance, etc.
      He acts interested but only eats a tiny bit. I gave him some cream today,
      and added probiotics, colostrum, and Seacure--just a little of each. Not much
      cream either. He is having some diarrhea and I thought the additives might
      help that. He drank all the cream twice but I thought I should not give him
      too much since it's so rich.

      He is not eating any of the raw foods he usually likes, but I'll try a few
      more tomorrow.

      I may try some slippery elm tomorrow too, to soothe his digestive system.

      There's one canned food that seems to work for failing appetites--I'll get
      it tomorrow--a tuna flavor.

      Should I try giving him some watered down food with a syringe? I have one.
      Real meat baby food? Any other ideas? I've never had a cat with
      inappetance like this.

      I know that fasting is dangerous.

      Judith