Starting New Meds

  • Bab006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2006
      Well after almost a year of asking if my cat needed to change his meds since
      they sent him home to die and the meds he was on were to make him
      comfortable. They are maybe seeing NOW he isn't going to go out that easy. So they
      want to possibly increase his digoxin and add Spirolactone (sp). Well the vet
      I went to today who was just to take blood levels of his current digoxin was
      not that positive about the new meds. I don't know what to do. The
      cardiologist who is 4 hours away won't answer any questions, my local vets are not
      that optimistic. I know he has a terminal heart disease but heck this cat is
      a fighter and as long as he is not suffering and has good quality of life why
      not try. The vet today asked how he was doing and I said well he has maybe
      2 to 3 bad days a month now. His response was "THAT'S ALL". I don't want
      to find other vets this far into his disease but heck I would like a little
      positivity in the fighting attitude of my precious Sim. He is giving it his
      best shot I would just like some support in this fight. Well sorry for the
      ranting but does anyone have any experience with the new meds? He is already on
      a very minute dose of digoxin and they want to double it and they want to
      keep him on Lasix and add the spirolactone. He is also on enalapril. He is
      starting to get more and more congested is the reason for the change.
      Bridget

      Confidentiality Notice:
      This email message, including any attachments, may contain confidential
      information which is legally protected through the Individuals with Disabilities
      Education Act, the Family Rights and Privacy Act and the Health Information
      and Portability Accountability Act. The information is for the sole use of the
      information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
      If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender be reply
      email and destroy all copies of the original message.

    • vickie
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
        Yes that is the reason for the changes. As the Sim get CHF more and more, they will up his meds to a
        dose that his body weight can take, and then they will add new meds on top of it. You will then have to
        monitor his kidney to see how well they are handling all the new meds. Since this ends up making them
        pee more. The key thinking is that they eat wet food for the moister, and keep drinking to keep the kidneys
        going.

        I don't like having to up and add pills but if I don't I my lose Baby so at this point I have nothing to lose.
        Baby is on several meds 3x a day, and he's diabetic on top of it. So he pees up a storm. I can't tell
        you how often I have to empty my Littermaid, and I have two. I can't believe his kidney are hanging in
        there. When he pees the scoop litter are clumps like horse patty's. LOL

        You will be suspired that just a 1/4 of the Spiro can make a big difference.

        Vickie
        In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
        Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!