Re: [feline-heart] Not a Good Easter Sunday - My HCM Kitty Threw a Blood Clot

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2000
      Joe,

      I'm sorry you had such a rotten holiday. Poor little guy.

      Both my HCM cats are on diltiazem. There was a thread on the list last week
      about Diltiazem vs. Atenolol, which some of us have learned causes breathing
      problems in cats with asthma.

      I've been through a similar situation with blood clots with another cat. She
      was put on Coumadin, a blood thinner, although we're not sure it helped her.
      The cardiologist did say that although Annie wasn't as lucky, a lot of cats
      recover from blood clots and go on to live happy, healthy lives.

      You and Tigger are in my thoughts and prayers.

      Laura

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2000
        > My little guy threw a blood clot sometime yesterday evening while I
        > was at my parents celebrating Easter. When I arrived home around
        > 10:00
        > he did not come out to great so I went looking for him and found him
        > under the bed. He would not move and when I felt his rear paws both
        > were cold to the touch.
        > I quickly took him to the Emergency Pet Hospital where he received
        > Herpatin (IV & SQ) and spent the nite. This morning (Monday)I took
        > him
        > to the Vet. Int. Med. clinic where he has been an HCM patient for the
        > last 2.5 years. Tigger is able to stand but is real wobbly and has no
        > feeling in his legs or paws. A slight pulse can be detected in one
        > his
        > legs.
        > I can't beleive all this is happening ! He was so normal when I left
        > him Sunday afternoon. I'm not what triggered it although the vet
        > increased his medication after noting arrythmia last month. He had
        > been on 12.5 mg Atenolol and 1.25 mg Vastec daily. The vet increased
        > the dosage to 19 mg Atenolol and 2.5mg Vasotec (1.25 x2 per day). In
        > addition he has been taking baby aspirin every 3 days for 2.5 years
        > just to prevent a blood clot from forming (so much for that theory).
        >
        > The int. med. vet is switching him from Atenolol to Propanolol and
        > may
        > switch to Diltiazem if the Propanolol proves ineffective. Also he is
        > to have 1/2 baby aspirin every other day. Tigger was on Propanolol
        > early on (2 years ago) and seemed to be wheezing and having trouble
        > breathing, but at the time he was also experiencing CHF. I'm
        > concerned
        > none the less. From what I've read in studies published on the web,
        > Atenolol may actually increase the chance of a blood clot forming
        > whereas Diltiazem seems to be drug of choice for treating HCM in its
        > advanced stages. Has anyone switched their cat from Atenolol to
        > Diltiazem ?
        >
        > - Joe Weissmann
        >

        > --Im sorry to hear that
        Mimi died of a blood clot..but not from the medication , from the lack of
        it...my vet told me that you couldnt treat heart and kidney both. I was not
        on this list then.....and when I brought her in to be saved, told me that
        other then glocose there was nothing she could do..Your baby has a
        chance........Mimis tongue had turned black..Im still so angry,
        Please let me know when you hear anything. Im rooting for you both.>