Re: [FH] Moliere

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      Johanna,

      This sounds just like what Meridith's cat Monkey went through. I hope
      she'll reply to you and talk about her experiences and how she dealt with
      it. From what I recall, Monkey is doing just fine now.

      If you read through the message archives on the Yahoo group, search for
      "Monkey" and you'll find a lot.

      Best to you and Moliere.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
        Johanna,

        Welcome to you and Moliere. I am sorry that Moliere has been dealing with this problem. Don't give up hope on him yet. There are a few cats on this site that have been through the same thing and have recovered. I hope that you have heard from their owners. When this crisis passes, always think positively, let us know and we can give you some advice for dealing with the disease that Moliere has. If you have any questions, though, do not hesitate to ask us.

        Leah and her cats

        zultar1be <johannapieterman@...> wrote:
        Hello Everyone,

        I have been lurking on the forum for the last week to try and find
        info on saddle thrombosis, which is what our 17 year old Moliere is
        currently going through.
        He didn't get this suddenly, but it all started with a limp in his
        left leg which was first thought to be due to some arthritis in that
        leg, but gradually his limp got worse until he also lost strength in
        his right leg and was then, after further testing, diagnosed with a
        saddle thrombosis. Moliere was put on aspirin and pain killers on
        Monday. The vet thought it best to take him home after having spent
        most of Monday at the vet, as he was still eating/drinking, even on
        Monday morning when he could still walk a little bit. When we got
        him home by the evening, he couldn't walk at all anymore. The next
        two days were terrible, as he constantly wanted to move around and
        needed to go to the litter tray but then couldn't do anything,
        resulting in accidents on the floor. When the vet came to see
        Moliere on Wednesday, she felt that he had made an improvement
        because she could feel a pulse in both legs again. On Monday she
        could hardly feel a pulse in his left leg, so she thought that he'd
        actually made a lot of progress in two days. To me, it seemed like
        he was still the same, and I have been going through emotional hell
        trying to deal with this, discussing euthanasia and then holding out
        hope, jo-jo-ing from one to the other.
        Moliere had hardly slept during these days and nights, but yesterday
        (Thursday) he relaxed a lot more and didn't want to move around as
        much, just wanted to sleep a lot. It was as if he'd resigned himself
        to the fact that going to the litter tray was futile and that it was
        best to just let the pee go whenever it needed to. Same with bowel
        movement, which he had last night. I've got nappy-like mats from the
        vet to put where he lies, and change them when they get too wet.
        He now stretches his legs when he sleep and flexes his toes as well,
        but when I lift him into a sitting position he falls over a lot and
        when he does want to move he drags himself, after which he re-
        positions his back legs underneath himself. He seems quite happy in
        a way, resigned and not in pain. He eats tiny bits, yoghurt a bites
        of tuna or chicken. Not a lot though, but I try all kinds of things
        all day.
        Does all this sound familiar to anyone who's had a cat going through
        this same horrible ordeal? I understand that movement can come back
        to the legs, the vet said I should see some improvement in the next
        three days.

        Thank you for reading, I just needed to find people who have been
        going through this and it looks like this might be the place.

        Johanna and Moliere
        Orkney, Scotland.

        Cat health insurance Cat health care Pet health cat Cat health Heart conditions Health problem in cat

        ---------------------------------

      • zultar1be
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2006
          Dear All,

          I wanted to thank you for corresponding with me about my sweet
          Moliere, who suffered a saddle thrombus two weeks ago. Unfortunately
          I do not have very good news, as about a week ago he started having
          breathing difficulties and also stopped eating. Everything has been
          done for him, but we had to let him go this afternoon... He has been
          our best friend for 17 years, and me and my husband had to say
          goodbye to sweet Molly today. The hurt is too overwhelming at the
          moment, we both feel completely devastated and cannot believe he is
          no longer with us. His little body is, as we are going to bury him
          in our garden, but his spirit is gone... moved on to live where
          there is forever sunshine and where he is young and agile again.

          Anyone losing such a close friend will understand the pain, it so
          hurts.

          With much love and intense hope that all your cats will be with you
          for a long time,
          Johanna
        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
            Johanna,

            I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did everything you could for Moliere. Sometimes, you just can't fight anymore and have to do what is best for your baby. I am sure he had a wonderful life with both of you and will see you again some day on the other side. Again, I am so sorry!

            Leah and her cats

          • Johanna Pieterman
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 24, 2006
              Thank you all so much for your exceptional kindness, it is so appreciated.
              The words of comfort, the poems... it helps so much to know that there are
              people out there who feel the same about their cats and have gone through
              the same in the past. We miss Molly so much, but have found some peace in
              the fact that he is gone. He has given us so many years of love, smiles and
              joy...

              Both myself and my husband are volunteers for the local branch of Cats
              Protection here in the UK, and in memory of Molly we have just adopted a
              rescue cat who looks so much like a young Molly, all black with a bit of
              white on his chest. We have called him Tobias (Toby) and he is booked in for
              neutering tomorrow. We don't think he is a year old, still very young, and
              very sweet. He isn't going to replace Molly, but we feel that by saving
              another cat, just like Molly was when he was young, we honour his memory.

              I am making a memory book for Molly, filled with wonderful photos, it makes
              it easier to deal with the grief. He is with us in the back garden, right
              where he always used to sit in the sun, and there is an engraved headstone
              that says 'forever sunshine'...

              Again, thank you so much, I can't express how sharing this with people has
              helped.

              Johanna