Re: [FH] update on mischief

  • Dawn
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7 5:29 AM
      Jerry's doctor heard his murmur during his first check up on our drive
      home from the animal shelter and the suggested xrays/ultrasound/etc
      which led to the HCM diagnosis. I doubt that to this day (2 years
      later), without the doctor catching it on a routine check up, I would
      have any idea there was anything wrong. He sleeps a lot and takes
      frequent breaks during play (he pretends to groom).. but he's a cat!.
      His version of coughing is sort of like a dogs reverse sneezing.. and
      even his doctor didn't think much of it until after his diagnosis..
      Maybe if I had him before he had HCM I would have noticed changes, but I
      doubt it.

      Six or so months ago one of his rear legs went limp, knowing his heart
      condition I knew what was going on.. but he's a little 'special' and
      frequently misses jumps or runs into things and hurts himself.. if I
      didn't know about his HCM I would have assumed he stubbed his toe or
      hurt his foot or something like he had many times before.

      I also didn't know anything about HCM before Jerry was diagnosed.. I
      wouldn't have even known what to look for.. I can tell you I've turned
      into one paranoid cat mommy though.. you sure do learn to watch for tiny
      changes.. my other cat Nova was acting weird.. crankier then normal and
      seemed a little depressed.. off to the vet we went...and I wasn't
      willing to leave it at a standard check up result of "I don't know,
      everything seems fine".. it was an expensive diagnosis of "gas" :).