Re: [FH] update on mischief

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
      Chrissy,

      Cats are masters when it comes to hiding the fact that they're sick. It's
      good that you're having the tests done. It is scary finding out when your
      cat is sick, but it's far worse to ignore it. The medications can make a
      huge difference. Keep us posted with the results.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
        First, good luck on the tests. I've never heard of a vet keeping the cat
        overnight for tests, but I hadn't heard of a vet keeping a cat overnight for
        a spay or neuter either until our first, Kit, walked into our house and made
        himself at home.

        As to the second part of your question, there are plenty of people on this
        list who will give you the same answer I'm going to. Cats are remarkably
        good at hiding their illnesses. This is why many times we don't find out
        what is going on until it is, or almost is, too late.

        A casual observer, not knowing anything about my Butters' heart trouble,
        would think she was a very small but healthy cat. She pants when she
        breathes, but you really can't tell unless you're either right next to her
        or holding her. She is technically in congestive heart failure now, but the
        coughing attacks don't come all that freequently and don't last for very
        long.

        She runs around and plays just like our other cats, is very active. She
        does nap a bit more than the others, though.

        I know some day she won't have enough energy to look as normal as she does
        now, but I'm loving it.

        Ruthie and the crew.

        Crime doesn't pay... does that mean my job is a crime?

        Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

        > hi all! next monday mischief goes to get his tests, iam relieved its
        > gonna get done but iam scared by what they might tell us .they said
        > its gonna be around $220 but its worth it they said there gonna keep
        > him over night and i quess the next day we get the tests?
        > i have a couple of question can a sick cat still act healthy? , like
        > play run around and act normal?
        > -chrissy

        > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dawn
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
          Jerry's doctor heard his murmur during his first check up on our drive
          home from the animal shelter and the suggested xrays/ultrasound/etc
          which led to the HCM diagnosis. I doubt that to this day (2 years
          later), without the doctor catching it on a routine check up, I would
          have any idea there was anything wrong. He sleeps a lot and takes
          frequent breaks during play (he pretends to groom).. but he's a cat!.
          His version of coughing is sort of like a dogs reverse sneezing.. and
          even his doctor didn't think much of it until after his diagnosis..
          Maybe if I had him before he had HCM I would have noticed changes, but I
          doubt it.

          Six or so months ago one of his rear legs went limp, knowing his heart
          condition I knew what was going on.. but he's a little 'special' and
          frequently misses jumps or runs into things and hurts himself.. if I
          didn't know about his HCM I would have assumed he stubbed his toe or
          hurt his foot or something like he had many times before.

          I also didn't know anything about HCM before Jerry was diagnosed.. I
          wouldn't have even known what to look for.. I can tell you I've turned
          into one paranoid cat mommy though.. you sure do learn to watch for tiny
          changes.. my other cat Nova was acting weird.. crankier then normal and
          seemed a little depressed.. off to the vet we went...and I wasn't
          willing to leave it at a standard check up result of "I don't know,
          everything seems fine".. it was an expensive diagnosis of "gas" :).