Dexter is back home with me....I have a question regarding canned foods

  • taloah2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2006
      When I had him as a foster with his siblings, they pretty much
      rejected most canned foods except Fancy Feast grilled.

      Here's the ingredient list for the grilled chicken: Chicken Broth,
      Chicken, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-Products, Corn Starch-Modified,
      Natural and Artificial Flavors, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Soy
      Protein Concentrate, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Chloride, Taurine,
      Choline Chloride, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, D3, B12), Thiamin
      Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese
      Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Niacin, Calcium
      Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Sulfate,
      Dicalcium Phosphate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (Source of
      Vitamin K Activity) Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodide,
      Biotin

      He was in permanent foster care for two months elsewhere before I
      formally adopted him this weekend. She mentioned that he ate very
      little canned food. I have been offering him his old favorite Fancy
      Feasts and he is devouring them. I tried in the past to gradually add
      Wellness canned foods and they rejected even a small amount of
      Wellness (I just donated 40ish cans of Wellness to the rescue group -
      this is what I get for buying online before trying it out!)

      Given his love for the above, do you guys have any suggestions for a
      good quality canned food I can transition him to? He gets Wellness
      dry food and I do supplement his canned food with CQ10, fish oil etc,
      but I am sure Fancy Feast is not the best choice for him.

      Thanks,

      Lisa, happy FUREVER mom to Dexter and Gracie

      PS He follows me EVERYWHERE but then wanders around to other rooms
      crying for his brothers...any idea how long this behavior will
      continue or how I can help him with the transition? Though he's five
      months older, he nursed with them and was more like another
      littermate.