update on Baby, need advise

  • vickie
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
      To recap Baby is about 15-18 yrs old, He was Dx w/Diabetes 3/05 and CHF/HCM 4/05, 8/05 Re-Dx w/RCM/CHF
      Main concern here is Potassium for me.

      3/19/06
      Baby had his 6 mo ECG f/up. Notes his heart disease has stayed the same. The left ventricle is mildly hypertrophied and the
      left atrium is severely enlarged. There is no SAM or thrombi seen on 2-D. The right ventricle and right atrium are mildly enlarged.
      All valves are grossly normal. Contractility is normal?
      x-rays: mild diffuse interstitial pattern, venous distension,cardiomegaly
      blood test: Bun 33, CRT 1.7, Potassium 3.6.
      The cardio vet added a 3rd diuretic Hydrochlorothiazide 1/4 at night. repeat blood test in one week.

      3/25
      Test Bun 62 CRT 3.0 Potassium 3.3
      Cardio vet told me to keep Baby on new meds and retest in one week, if numbers same keep on meds, if worse take him off.

      3/30
      Test Bun 44 CRT 2.9 was told by my vet to leave him on his meds, I should hear from the cardio vet this Sunday.

      Meds:
      Baby is on Lasix 18.75 TID, Sprionolactone 6.25 SID, Enalapril 2.5 SID, Aspirin 20 mg EOD, 6.25 Hydrochlorothiazide, insulin BID

      Some History

      Spiroloactone stopped 9/26/05
      Atenolo stoped 12/19/05 do to maybe have been causing him to have breathing problems (side effect)
      Spiroloactone stated again 12/19/06
      Hydrochlorot stated 3/19/06 because of mild congestion in xrays to prevent CHF

      Left me know if you need more info

      Vickie
      In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
      Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

    • rn1durham
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
        Vickie,

        My heart goes out to you and Baby. Those are a lot of illnesses to
        manage! His renal values don't look bad. I imagine that giving
        diuretics to a cat with CRF must be done with delicacy.

        Has your vet advised you about potassium? What complications are you
        concerned about regarding supplementation? (diabetes and thrombus?)
        I think the low normal for potassium is 3.8 (maybe?) so it's not
        horribly out of range.

        I have a CRF cat who takes potassium and is doing very well. Hope
        that helps!

        Robin

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "vickie" <VickieJunger@...> wrote:

        > To recap Baby is about 15-18 yrs old, He was Dx w/Diabetes 3/05 and
        CHF/HCM 4/05, 8/05 Re-Dx w/RCM/CHF
        > Main concern here is Potassium for me.
        >
        > 3/19/06
        > Baby had his 6 mo ECG f/up. Notes his heart disease has stayed the
        same. The left ventricle is mildly hypertrophied and the
        > left atrium is severely enlarged. There is no SAM or thrombi seen
        on 2-D. The right ventricle and right atrium are mildly enlarged.
        > All valves are grossly normal. Contractility is normal?
        > x-rays: mild diffuse interstitial pattern, venous
        distension,cardiomegaly
        > blood test: Bun 33, CRT 1.7, Potassium 3.6.
        > The cardio vet added a 3rd diuretic Hydrochlorothiazide 1/4 at
        night. repeat blood test in one week.

        > 3/25
        > Test Bun 62 CRT 3.0 Potassium 3.3
        > Cardio vet told me to keep Baby on new meds and retest in one week,
        if numbers same keep on meds, if worse take him off.

        > 3/30
        > Test Bun 44 CRT 2.9 was told by my vet to leave him on his meds, I
        should hear from the cardio vet this Sunday.

        > Meds:
        > Baby is on Lasix 18.75 TID, Sprionolactone 6.25 SID, Enalapril 2.5
        SID, Aspirin 20 mg EOD, 6.25 Hydrochlorothiazide, insulin BID

        > Some History
        >
        > Spiroloactone stopped 9/26/05
        > Atenolo stoped 12/19/05 do to maybe have been causing him to have
        breathing problems (side effect)
        > Spiroloactone stated again 12/19/06
        > Hydrochlorot stated 3/19/06 because of mild congestion in xrays to
        prevent CHF

        > Left me know if you need more info
        >
        > Vickie
        > Beware of ISS/VAS cancer that kills cats! www.vas-awareness.org
        > Don't give shots in the SCRUFF. www.catshots.com
        > In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
        > Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
          Vickie,

          It looks like the Enalapril is having some effect on the kidneys but it does not look that bad. Baby's potassium, however, is too low. I have the same problem with my Alec, (RCM & CRF) and his potassium. I put Alec on potassium supplements recently because his numbers were .1 below normal on his blood tests. You want their potassium number to be in the middle of the range. Below that, they need potassium. I put Alec on it before my vet told me to, in fact, I told my vet that I put him on potassium so my vet checked Alec's numbers again and agreed with me. You have to be sure not to give to much. If you search the recent posts you will find a website listed that gives help on potassium dosages. I use the GNC potassium gluconate tablets and then crush them up and put them in Alec's food. Let me know if you have any other questions. I definitely think Baby needs supplemented with potassium.

          Leah and her cats

          vickie <VickieJunger@...> wrote:
[...]

          ---------------------------------

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
            Vickie,

            I have been reading the Yahoo-CRF boards for many years now and I have read over and over about potassium. Being below normal is not good, especially because you will start getting muscle wasting. Alec already had it, noticably, for years. It started before I knew about his kidneys so all I can do now is try to prevent more. When the potassium numbers in the blood are below normal than the cellular level is even lower in the muscles. That is where it is even more important.

            I am not trying to talk you into anything but I would do more research on it, if I were you. You don't want to get too much potassium, but a low dose for Baby now, wouldn't do that. A low dose now could only help Baby. My vet didn't recommend it for Alec either, I had to take the initiative. I have had to do that a lot with Alec's care in RCM and CRF. And he has benefited from it.

            Leah and her cats

            vickie <vickiejunger@...> wrote:
            Hi

            The cardio dr called this afternoon, she doesn't think he needs potassium? One of his other vets said he really doesn't need any yet, all though she
            said I could give have of the 99mg that I have, but seemed she rather me not give it to him yet. They both seem to think that being .1 below is still
            ok. It would be harder on his heart if he gets to high, seems in his case a bit low is better then risking him getting to high.

            This month will be a year he was Dx. I hope it's not coming to an end for him. I've been trying to watch him today, he hasn't bothered me much
            for a fresh can of food, and I haven't seen him drink a lot of water. I don't know then I open a can of food and he eat a good amt of it, groomed
            himself ate some more and finale had some water. The other thing is I tested his BG 3x yesterday, and his #'s were pretty good, so I'm wondering
            on the other hand could he be eating and drinking a bit less cause he has good BG #'s? or his kidneys. The cardio vet said that I don't need to
            take him in for another blood test for 3 mo, unless I feel that something is wrong. She wants him to stay on his meds. She said his kidney are
            handling it ok, even w/the #'s up. At least that is how I took it. Last time I had a diabetic cat and he started to have good reading, his life was
            coming to an end. I hope that isn't the same with Baby.