Bo

  • kelly
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2006
      I am so very sorry for your loss of Bo. I was there 2 weeks ago and my
      Angels adopted daughter Bridgett is really missing her mom,
      I am still heartbroken and the thought of her brings me to tears, so I sure
      do understand your pain. It seems especially hard when we also suffer for
      the kittys left behind, It will take time and they will form new bonds.
      We seem to suffer longer.
      My very deepest sympathies and understanding.
      Kelly
    • Barbara Kraus
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi all,

        First, my sympathies to all who have lost a cat recently - to Tracey for
        Barney, Susan for Cooter, Nicole for Reeses... I share your pain and sorrow
        at losing your friends and especially share it now as Bo went to the Rainbow
        Bridge on August 23. I haven't been able to bring myself to write before
        today.

        As I written, he was diagnosed with acromegaly (presumptive) and end stage
        CHF. She had recommended putting him down as soon as I got back from a
        business trip but we put him on the heart drugs, tweaked the dosages,
        continued tube feeding him and giving him fluids. In a month, he hadn't
        sniffed food or shown any interest in drinking, except for one time. He
        didn't want to be handled or loved on, just wanted to lay in the back of the
        closet and got upset when I tried to pick him up. We felt like he had pain
        in the abdominal area, possibly from a vastly enlarged pancreas. A week ago
        Friday, he had explosive vomiting and diarrhea, and with the lack of
        response to any treatments, I just couldn't put him through anymore. A
        month before, he had been a normal cat with a couple of chronic illnesses
        and getting finicky about eating. I can't believe how quickly things
        changed and know that Susan and Lisa had the same shocks with Cooter and
        Alex.
        Bo came to the Dallas SPCA as a Hurricane Katrina evacuee (his official name
        there was Hurricane Katrina #10). He had a heart murmur when I got him at
        the age of 10 (I actually adopted him as the oldest cat at the SPCA, not
        because he was an evacuee; I'd just lost an almost 19yo cat and wanted to
        honor her memory by adopting the oldest cat at the shelter). Bo was
        sometimes known as Rooney, Big Daddy (appropriate for a southern gent, don't
        you think?), Dooberman, and Mr. Poosters. He died from congestive heart
        failure on August 23. I only had him for a bit more than 2.5 years and I've
        been through this enough to know that no matter how much time you have with
        a beloved animal, it is never enough.

        If he had been with me when Hurricane Gustav was approaching New Orleans, I
        could have told him that he would never again have to live through
        something like that and that I could always protect him from hurricanes. I
        just couldn't protect him from him own body.

        He was as healthy as a cat with acromegaly, heart problems, and pancreatitis
        could be until a month before he died and we every thing we possibly could
        for him. I just felt the time was right - how long can you keep a cat
        going who is not only not responding but getting worse? Still, I'll always
        second-guess myself if I said good-by at the right time.

        Hugs and sympathy to all who have lost their cats and thanks to everyone to
        responded to my questions and helped me feel like I wasn't alone in trying
        to make him better.

        Love and thanks to all,

        Barbara

      • Kathy Wood
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
          Barbara,
          My heart goes out to you. Know that Bo has made Heaven a littel
          brighter as have all our babies that are no longer with us. Hold on to
          those precious memories.......their love never leaves our hearts.
          God bless you & may He enjoy Bo as you did.
          k & s-

          Kathy Wood
          Executive Program Manager
          UNC-Chapel Hill AGEP