Re: [FH] Odd Food/Finicky Eater Question

  • adawson1971@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
      I'm not sure, but i think there may be something going on with Wellness
      Turkey. Jocko who often exclusively eats Turkey started vomiting the
      Turkey back up over the weekend.

      I had just received my 6 case order from PetfoodDirect. 2 Turkey, 2
      Chicken and 2 Beef and Chicken. So everything is new. Friiday morning
      at 5 am. I woke to Jocko vomitting. (I honestly don't recall what
      flavor he had eaten the night before.) I didn't think much of it since
      there was a hairball in it. I fed him breakfast of Chicken. He was
      fine. Later in the day, I gave him Turkey. About 3 hours later he
      vomited. No hair ball. Again, later, I gave him more turkey. Again, he
      vomitted.

      This went on pretty much all day Friday. I 'd feed him. He'd vomit
      about 3 hours later. Except when I gave him Beef and Chicken.
      Sometimes with a hairball. Sometimes not. I figured it was because he
      had been eating a lot of dry that I left for him while at work which
      had led to stomach upset. Anyway, he was fine the next day as long as
      I only gave him Beef and Chicken or Chicken. I stopped giving him the
      Turkey. In fact for a couple of days, I stopped the Wellness all
      together and just gave him chicken breast or deli Turkey. I gave him
      1/2 can of Beef and Chicken last night and he was fine.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
          Jennifer,

          There's probably a slight difference in the batch. Think about this - if
          you made cookies to sell, would every batch be the same? Sometimes you
          might buy from one store or another and sometimes you might get the
          proportions a bit different. As humans, we probably wouldn't notice, but
          cats sure would.

          Sue

        • mfortner@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
            From: JAM0467@...
            > My question is this...has anyone else ever had it happen, with Wellness or
            > another brand, where your cats aren't interested in the contents of one can, but
            > DO eat the contents of another can in the exact same flavor?

            Yes....and I've complained to the company that makes Wellness canned. Mine eat Wellness Turkey and Salmon and one case may be just enough different from the previous case that my finicky kitty (Creamsicle) won't eat it unless I mix in some "junk food" (usuallly ProPlan Chicken and Liver) that he loves. After a few days of that, then he will eat it straight.

            I was told by the rep at the company that the absence of preservatives means that there may be slight differences in the texture, color and smell from lot to lot. I can usually tell the diffeence as soon as I open the first can from a new case.

            --
            Marge, Sugar, Spice (HCM), Creamsicle, and Callie
            Bridge Kitties Felix and Oscar