Re: [FH] Administering Pills

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2 6:10 PM
      Ruthie,

      That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
      food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball bat)
      to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but any
      smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
      probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
      scratches.

      I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of the
      end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
      reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any "dust"
      left in the mortar could be significant.

      I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better (at
      least according to a cooking show that I saw!)

      Sue

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2 6:13 PM
        Hmm, marble was what I was thinking of getting, wonder if it makes a
        difference at all with pills, lol.

        Ruthie and the crew.

        Design simplicity: It was developed on a shoe-string budget.

        Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

        > That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
        > food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball
        > bat)
        > to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but
        > any
        > smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
        > probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
        > scratches.
        >
        > I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of
        > the
        > end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
        > reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any
        > "dust"
        > left in the mortar could be significant.
        >
        > I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better
        > (at
        > least according to a cooking show that I saw!)
        >

        > Sue

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2 6:16 PM
          I don't think it would make a difference. Supposedly the ceramic version
          has more "grip" but that might mean more of the pill dust sticks to the end
          of the pestle. My marble one works just fine.

          Sue

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3 3:19 PM
            OK, big thanks.

            Ruthie and the crew.

            famous programmer quotation: "This can't effect that"