Re: [FH] Administering Pills

  • Ruthie
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2 6:02 PM
      Okey, thanks. I sometimes have problems with Butters dropping the Lasix and
      Enalapril out of her spoonful of canned food. Thinking I might buy a mortar
      and pestle (sp?) to crush them and then mix them in with the food.

      Ruthie and the crew.

      A hacker does for love what others would not do for money. - Laura
      Creighton

      Visit
      www.ruthieville.com
      today for your daily dose of me.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2 6:10 PM
        Ruthie,

        That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
        food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball bat)
        to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but any
        smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
        probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
        scratches.

        I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of the
        end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
        reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any "dust"
        left in the mortar could be significant.

        I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better (at
        least according to a cooking show that I saw!)

        Sue

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2 6:13 PM
          Hmm, marble was what I was thinking of getting, wonder if it makes a
          difference at all with pills, lol.

          Ruthie and the crew.

          Design simplicity: It was developed on a shoe-string budget.

          Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

          > That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
          > food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball
          > bat)
          > to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but
          > any
          > smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
          > probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
          > scratches.
          >
          > I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of
          > the
          > end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
          > reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any
          > "dust"
          > left in the mortar could be significant.
          >
          > I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better
          > (at
          > least according to a cooking show that I saw!)
          >

          > Sue

        • Sue at MAGDRL
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2 6:16 PM
            I don't think it would make a difference. Supposedly the ceramic version
            has more "grip" but that might mean more of the pill dust sticks to the end
            of the pestle. My marble one works just fine.

            Sue

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3 3:19 PM
              OK, big thanks.

              Ruthie and the crew.

              famous programmer quotation: "This can't effect that"