Re: [FH] Administering Pills

  • Ruthie
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
      Sue, do you happen to know if you can crush enalapril?

      And I've got that pilling email here, I'll send it in a sec.

      Ruthie and the crew.

      He's not dead, he's electroencephalographically challenged.

      Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
        Ruthie,

        Yes, you can crush enalapril. Since Pepper got sick, I've used enalapril,
        atenolol, spiro, and lasix. You can crush all of them.

        The only comment is that the spiro has a coating on the tablets. I have the
        pharmacist compound it into a liquid. He told me that he crushes the pills
        and then has to filter out the tablet coating. It has a strong peppermint
        smell but Pepper doesn't mind it at all.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
          Okey, thanks. I sometimes have problems with Butters dropping the Lasix and
          Enalapril out of her spoonful of canned food. Thinking I might buy a mortar
          and pestle (sp?) to crush them and then mix them in with the food.

          Ruthie and the crew.

          A hacker does for love what others would not do for money. - Laura
          Creighton

          ruthieville@...>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Sue at MAGDRL
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
            Ruthie,

            That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
            food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball bat)
            to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but any
            smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
            probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
            scratches.

            I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of the
            end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
            reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any "dust"
            left in the mortar could be significant.

            I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better (at
            least according to a cooking show that I saw!)

            Sue

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
              Hmm, marble was what I was thinking of getting, wonder if it makes a
              difference at all with pills, lol.

              Ruthie and the crew.

              Design simplicity: It was developed on a shoe-string budget.

              Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

              > That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
              > food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball
              > bat)
              > to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but
              > any
              > smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
              > probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
              > scratches.
              >
              > I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of
              > the
              > end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
              > reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any
              > "dust"
              > left in the mortar could be significant.
              >
              > I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better
              > (at
              > least according to a cooking show that I saw!)
              >

              > Sue

            • Sue at MAGDRL
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                I don't think it would make a difference. Supposedly the ceramic version
                has more "grip" but that might mean more of the pill dust sticks to the end
                of the pestle. My marble one works just fine.

                Sue

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
                  OK, big thanks.

                  Ruthie and the crew.

                  famous programmer quotation: "This can't effect that"