Re: [FH] Administering Pills

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
      Lisa,

      Hello & welcome, although I'm sorry to hear about Max's health issues.

      I know that the atenolol and lasix can be ground up and mixed with food.
      Neither one has much of a taste so it should be ok. I don't use tapazole so
      someone else will have to answer. You could ask your pharmacist too.

      Since your cat only eats dry food, you might be able to mix it with mashed
      tuna or baby food (no onions). I'm sure we'll have a discussion about diet
      at some point since a dry-food diet really isn't the best - especially with
      a sick cat who needs all the help he can get.

      There are many ways to give pills. I won't push a pill down my cat's throat
      and had to find other means. I have some of my meds compounded into a
      liquid (tuna water) by a compounding pharmacy. Pepper loves it so much that
      she laps it out of the syringe. Medicines can also be compounded into other
      forms like chewy treats. See the links section for information on
      compounding pharmacies
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/links/Compounding_Pharmacy_001031
      277178/

      There is also the option of Pill Pockets
      http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm. It's a chewy treat that is hollow
      in the middle so you can put pills in there. Someone had posted information
      on how to pill a cat but I can't find it. Hopefully someone else will post
      that information.

      There are also supplements such as CoQ10 that will help your cat cope with
      the disease.

      Please post to the group if you have any more questions. There are a lot of
      knowledgable people here!

      Sue

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
        Sue, do you happen to know if you can crush enalapril?

        And I've got that pilling email here, I'll send it in a sec.

        Ruthie and the crew.

        He's not dead, he's electroencephalographically challenged.

        Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

        > Hello & welcome, although I'm sorry to hear about Max's health issues.
        >
        > I know that the atenolol and lasix can be ground up and mixed with food.
        > Neither one has much of a taste so it should be ok. I don't use tapazole
        > so
        > someone else will have to answer. You could ask your pharmacist too.
        >
        > Since your cat only eats dry food, you might be able to mix it with mashed
        > tuna or baby food (no onions). I'm sure we'll have a discussion about
        > diet
        > at some point since a dry-food diet really isn't the best - especially
        > with
        > a sick cat who needs all the help he can get.
        >
        > There are many ways to give pills. I won't push a pill down my cat's
        > throat
        > and had to find other means. I have some of my meds compounded into a
        > liquid (tuna water) by a compounding pharmacy. Pepper loves it so much
        > that
        > she laps it out of the syringe. Medicines can also be compounded into
        > other
        > forms like chewy treats. See the links section for information on
        > compounding pharmacies
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/links/Compounding_Pharmacy_001031
        > 277178/
        >
        > There is also the option of Pill Pockets
        > http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm. It's a chewy treat that is
        > hollow
        > in the middle so you can put pills in there. Someone had posted
        > information
        > on how to pill a cat but I can't find it. Hopefully someone else will
        > post
        > that information.
        >
        > There are also supplements such as CoQ10 that will help your cat cope with
        > the disease.
        >
        > Please post to the group if you have any more questions. There are a lot
        > of
        > knowledgable people here!
        >

        > Sue

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
          Ruthie,

          Yes, you can crush enalapril. Since Pepper got sick, I've used enalapril,
          atenolol, spiro, and lasix. You can crush all of them.

          The only comment is that the spiro has a coating on the tablets. I have the
          pharmacist compound it into a liquid. He told me that he crushes the pills
          and then has to filter out the tablet coating. It has a strong peppermint
          smell but Pepper doesn't mind it at all.

          Sue

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
            Okey, thanks. I sometimes have problems with Butters dropping the Lasix and
            Enalapril out of her spoonful of canned food. Thinking I might buy a mortar
            and pestle (sp?) to crush them and then mix them in with the food.

            Ruthie and the crew.

            A hacker does for love what others would not do for money. - Laura
            Creighton

            ruthieville@...>

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Sue at MAGDRL
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
              Ruthie,

              That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
              food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball bat)
              to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but any
              smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
              probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
              scratches.

              I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of the
              end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
              reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any "dust"
              left in the mortar could be significant.

              I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better (at
              least according to a cooking show that I saw!)

              Sue

              > Okey, thanks. I sometimes have problems with Butters dropping the Lasix
              and
              > Enalapril out of her spoonful of canned food. Thinking I might buy a
              mortar
              > and pestle (sp?) to crush them and then mix them in with the food.
              >
              > Ruthie and the crew.
              >
              > A hacker does for love what others would not do for money. - Laura
              > Creighton
              >
              > Visit
              > www.ruthieville.com
              > today for your daily dose of me.

            • Ruthie
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                Hmm, marble was what I was thinking of getting, wonder if it makes a
                difference at all with pills, lol.

                Ruthie and the crew.

                Design simplicity: It was developed on a shoe-string budget.

                Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

                > That's what I do (sort of) - use a mortar & pestle. I put the pill in the
                > food bowl and then use the pestle (the part that looks like a baseball
                > bat)
                > to grind the pill. My bowls are Corningware glass so they're tough, but
                > any
                > smooth-surfaced bowl would work. I would not use plastic since it would
                > probably scratch over time and bits of the pill would get lost in the
                > scratches.
                >
                > I gently crush the pill and then use a knife to scrape the powder off of
                > the
                > end of the pestle. After that, I add the food and mix it together. The
                > reason I grind it in the bowl is that the pills are so tiny that any
                > "dust"
                > left in the mortar could be significant.
                >
                > I use a marble mortar & pestle although ceramic is supposed to be better
                > (at
                > least according to a cooking show that I saw!)
                >

                > Sue

              • Sue at MAGDRL
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                  I don't think it would make a difference. Supposedly the ceramic version
                  has more "grip" but that might mean more of the pill dust sticks to the end
                  of the pestle. My marble one works just fine.

                  Sue

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
                    OK, big thanks.

                    Ruthie and the crew.

                    famous programmer quotation: "This can't effect that"