Re: pet sitter

  • Lisa Locke-Downer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2006
      Jennifer,
      I have used pet sitters in the past and they have been
      great. My husband is concerned about having someone in
      the house too. When you meet with the sitter, ask
      about their security procedures. For example, when my
      sitter makes her visits, the keys are kept in a
      separate place from my file (they are coded somehow so
      she knows whose keys they are) so that if someone got
      their hands on the keys, they would not know which
      house they went to. When she does not have the keys
      with her, they are in a locked cabinet. Also make sure
      they are licensed and bonded, and that any employees
      are on their insurance.

      I would also say to go with your instincts, as Leah
      said. I'm not sure if I'm going to hire my most recent
      sitter again, because she seems somewhat scattered.
      She called during my last trip to clarify when she was
      supposed to be feeding them, and to ask how many cats
      I had. This call came at 6pm Sat, when she was
      supposed to be giving them dinner. I had a feeling
      about her being scattered when I hired her, but didn't
      listen to it b/c I needed someone right away. So I'm
      going to be interviewing some other ones before my
      next trip.

      Not to scare you though - the majority of my
      experiences have been really positive. It's great to
      be able to ask someone else to scoop the litterbox,
      rather than to make your friends do it! Also, I'd
      rather trust someone with lots of animal experience to
      give the meds, rather than ask a friend to take on
      that responsibility.

      --Lisa

      Lisa Locke-Downer, Ph.D.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • howdeeeyall@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
        Keeping keys separate from your files, and coding them so that your ID is
        not on the key, is very basic for a professional petsitter. Anyone who uses
        less security measures is incompetent.

        Bonding is only for employees; a sole proprietor should have insurance but
        does not need bonding. Licensing is really just a formality between the
        petsitter and the local government and does not mean much, but it's good for a
        petsitter to have.

        If your sitter called and didn't even know how many cats you have, I would
        definitely switch. A professional petsitter should come over for an initial
        interview before actually sitting for you. It should take close to an hour;
        the sitter should meet all the pets and learn their routine. There should be
        forms to fill out that cover all the details of caring for your pet,
        including emergency information. Basic information like number of cats and when to
        feed them should not be left out.

        I have a page on each pet, a page on the client, a page for vet information,
        and a two-page service agreement that we both sign. I get every conceivable
        detail onto those forms, and I take them to my jobs. Any professional
        petsitter should do that, especially for a special needs pet such as a heart kitty.

        Judith