Re: [FH] money and food

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
      You can buy Wellness by the 14 ounce can. I pay $1.09 for a 5.5 ounce can,
      but $1.33 for a 14 ounce can if I buy a case.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
        Mary,

        You can buy it for less than $20 per case at PetFood Direct.com. It's
        normally $25 / case of 24 - 5.5 oz cans but is on sale now for $21.74 (most
        flavors). Plus they always have a 13% coupon when you enter their web site.
        Shipping to NJ is $8 for 2 cases. That would bring the cost to about 95
        cents per can delivered if you order 2 cases at the sale price.

        The shipping might even be less for you since I believe they ship from the
        Philadelphia area.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
          I live in Charlottesville, Virginia. There are several
          pet stores in town, and I haven't checked out all of
          them yet. One carries Wellness for .94, and the other
          carried it for a little over a dollar. I'm not sure if
          they give bulk discounts.

          (P.S. I used to live in Wilmington, DE.)

          Lisa Locke-Downer, Ph.D.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
            There's a store on Route 29 -- I think Pet Supplies. They sometimes have
            good prices. We live east of Fredericksburg, but go to Charlottesville
            once in a while -- love to eat at the Ming Dynasty.

            We bought the $1.33 a can from Boothe Feeds; they have a few stores in
            Fredericksburg, but I don't know if there is one near you.

            Linda

            >I live in Charlottesville, Virginia. There are several
            > pet stores in town, and I haven't checked out all of
            > them yet. One carries Wellness for .94, and the other
            > carried it for a little over a dollar. I'm not sure if
            > they give bulk discounts.
            >
            > (P.S. I used to live in Wilmington, DE.)
            >
            > --- Mary Gorton <mgorton1@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Where do you live? I live in Delaware and I get
            >> Wellness in 12 oz cans in a
            >> case of 12 cans, which is $20. He (a Bengal cat)
            >> eats one full can a day,
            >> so I spend $45/month to feed him. Concord Pet gives
            >> a free case for every
            >> 10 cases purchased so that helps some. But I have
            >> recently changed my
            >> litter to egg layer crumbles purchased at the local
            >> feed store for $9.50 per
            >> 50 lbs which does reduce the litter cost
            >> considerably. It's like World's
            >> Best Cat Litter but much more economical.
            >>
            >> Mary Gorton

          • Sue at MAGDRL
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
              Mary,

              I did miss that you were talking about the 12.5 oz cans. They sell them
              online too
              http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=6&brand%5Fid=913&mscss
              id=FEJA1TXDV0748GMBUCDCAPFGQ4386TT1

              Sue

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
                I ran into the same problem when I finally got Shadow converted to canned.
                There's a boutique pet store that I usually buy from, but their 3oz cans were
                about 90 cents each. I couldn't buy the 5.5 oz cans because of leftovers which
                Jocko refused to eat and I was throwing out anyway.

                I started buying online. Petfood direct sends out a 20% off coupon for food
                about every 6-8 weeks. I stock up using it. JP Pet Food (or JB petfood) sells
                the cans for 69 cents each. So I'll also buy from there if I run out before a
                coupon arrives. It costs about the same as with a coupon from Petfood Direct.

                Each of my cats ate about 1.5 - 2 oz a day.

                In a message dated 2/27/2006 8:37:04 PM Central Standard Time,
                lisamarialocke@... writes:

                > I seem to be full of questions this week - thanks
                > everyone for your great ideas! My question of the day
                > is this: for those of you who made the switch from dry
                > to canned, how did you make adjustments in your budget
                > to account for the increased cost?

              • Mary Gorton
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
                  Where do you buy Wellness in 12 oz cans for $1.33? Thanks.

                  Mary

                  > You can buy Wellness by the 14 ounce can. I pay $1.09 for a 5.5 ounce
                  can,
                  > but $1.33 for a 14 ounce can if I buy a case.
                  >
                  > Linda

                • Mary Gorton

                    > You can buy it for less than $20 per case at PetFood Direct.com. It's
                    > normally $25 / case of 24 - 5.5 oz cans but is on sale now for $21.74
                    (most
                    > flavors). Plus they always have a 13% coupon when you enter their web
                    site.
                    > Shipping to NJ is $8 for 2 cases. That would bring the cost to about 95
                    > cents per can delivered if you order 2 cases at the sale price.
                    >
                    > The shipping might even be less for you since I believe they ship from the
                    > Philadelphia area.
                    >

                    > Sue

                  • Mary Gorton
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
                      Where do you get Wellness canned 14 oz for $1.33? That's the best I've
                      seen.

                      Mary

                      > You can buy Wellness by the 14 ounce can. I pay $1.09 for a 5.5 ounce
                      can,
                      > but $1.33 for a 14 ounce can if I buy a case.
                      >
                      > Linda

                    • Mary Gorton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
                        That's really close to me. I live in Newark. I get my chicken layer
                        crumbles cat litter at the feed store in Newark. I would think you should
                        be able to find some chicken layer crumbles or other feed-type litter
                        material near Charlottesville. If you buy 50 lb bags, it's quite
                        inexpensive. I am referring to the 12.5 oz size canned Wellness. My Bengal
                        cat eats an entire one each day. Bengals eat twice as much as domestic
                        cats. It averages out to $1.50 per can or day.
                        It keeps him in good shape, he has no excess fat. I'll never feed anything
                        less again.

                        Mary

                      • savionna@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
                          Hi Lisa,

                          In a message dated 2/27/06 9:37:04 PM, lisamarialocke@... writes:

                          << for those of you who made the switch from dry

                          to canned, how did you make adjustments in your budget

                          to account for the increased cost? >>

                          You already got good ideas from other members about cost. Just wanted to
                          throw out a coupla more things. Most brands have store locators on their websites
                          or tollfree phones. So if you haven't already, it might be worthwhile to call
                          around local outlets for prices and discounts (like frequent buyer programs,
                          case discounts, etc). There can be significant prices differences between
                          stores. (Our local feed store has much lower prices than the local boutique-y
                          animal supply store.)

                          Before buying 12.5 oz cans by the case, it would be worth getting just a few
                          3 oz cans for the transition process. There will be less waste and fresher
                          food.

                          As for litter, we use chicken crumbles (which is chicken feed and is quite
                          inexpensive) mixed with Cat Country, either Elite or original formula (whea
                          tgrass litter, which is more expensive but worth it). I also have used plain,
                          unscented, nonclumping clay (which is also inexpensive; I realize clay is not the
                          most environmentally responsible choice, but that's a choice we can make as
                          needed).

                          There is no denying that a bag of cereal and byproducts is going to cost less
                          than a can of meat. But it is not appropriate nutrition for a cat. We could
                          cut our food budget if we ate acorns like squirrels and grass like sheep. But
                          we would suffer from malnutrition b/c that isn't appropriate nutrition for
                          humans. The price of a product is only part of the cost of nutrition. Poor
                          nutrition costs us in vet bills...a $60 office visit buys 3 cases of quality
                          food...and supplies; just ask what a diabetic caregiver pays for a month of insulin
                          and syringes or a CRF caregiver pays for fluids and needles. But, more
                          important, it costs the cat in suffering, on which there is no price. // Rosemary
                        • Lisa Locke-Downer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
                            Thanks for those food ideas. I never thought of Whole
                            Foods. We do have one in Charlottesville, so I will
                            check that out. I will also do some online research. I
                            like the idea of buying online, as long as shipping
                            isn't too expensive.

                            A couple of you mentioned leftovers and food
                            freshness. I have been unable to find any guidelines
                            about how long open food can be kept in the fridge. I
                            have can covers and try to close them tightly, but I
                            don't really know how long I'm supposed to keep
                            leftovers before throwing them out. I don't want to
                            make my kitty any sicker by giving him old food!

                            Lisa Locke-Downer, Ph.D.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Linda Fischbach
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
                              Many people say to store the food in glass containers, not the cans.
                              Walmart and Kmart sell 8-oz pyxes containers with tight fitting plastic
                              lids.

                              Linda

                            • adawson1971@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
                                I would never store in the can. I went out and bought a couple of these
                                pyrex dishes just for Jocko. He still will not eat leftovers.

                                Even with a cat who eats them, I would never keep them beyond a day.
                                Another reason I could never purchase anything larger than the 5.5 oz
                                cans for 2 cats. I had to use the larger (12.5 oz?) cans when Wellness
                                was beyond in production for other sizes last year. I had leftovers 2-3
                                days. I was never comfortable with feeding that.

                                As for specific guidlines, I believe cooked meats are viable in the
                                refrigerator of about 3-5 days. And canned cat food is essentially
                                cooked meat.

                                Annette