money and food

  • Lisa Locke-Downer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
      I seem to be full of questions this week - thanks
      everyone for your great ideas! My question of the day
      is this: for those of you who made the switch from dry
      to canned, how did you make adjustments in your budget
      to account for the increased cost? I am not trying to
      be cheap when it comes to my cats' health, and I am
      not trying to be too nosy about other people's
      finances. However, it is a bit of a sticker shock when
      going from a very low dry food budget to suddenly a
      higher one for better quality food. Especially with
      two cats now. Where I am, I can't find Wellness for
      less than .94 per can, and the other good brands are
      pretty close to that (maybe .79-.99). So if each cat
      eats at least one can per day (probably more, right?),
      that's at least $30 per month per cat, which is over
      $300 per year per cat. I love my boys, but we are
      going to have to make some serious budgetary
      adjustments! I'm wondering if people have found ways
      of ordering the food in bulk online or from their
      local stores. Or do you cut back in other ways, such
      as cheaper litter or other things? Of course I can
      think of this as saving money in the long run, b/c
      they would be healthier and theoretically have fewer
      costly problems (such as Hobo's current IBS). Plus if
      I'm going to pay a lot for bad prescription food, it
      seems to make more sense to pay a lot for higher
      quality food. Any thoughts or strategies?

      Thanks, everyone!

      Lisa Locke-Downer, Ph.D.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • mae liu
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi, Lisa,

        I cut back a lot after my cat was diagnosed with DCM to accomodate the expenses of vet visits, medications, acupuncture treatments, etc. Yes, canned food is more expensive than dry food. The way I look at it is that everything is cheaper than vet bills. If canned food can keep them in good health, it saves in the long term. My cats had so many problems when they were on dry food. They are doing so much better after I switched to canned food. I'm positive that dry food diet caused most of their health problems if not all.

        mae, placido and nicky

        Lisa Locke-Downer <lisamarialocke@...> wrote:
[...]

        Cat health insurance Cat health care Pet health cat Cat health Heart conditions Health problem in cat

      • Lisa Locke-Downer
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
          Thanks to everyone for the food ideas - price, brands,
          storage methods, etc. I am definitely committed to
          getting Hobo and Mojo on a good quality canned diet. I
          am the type of person who has to do a lot of research
          before making a decision, so now I will call around
          about prices to see how to make this process more
          affordable. I returned the creepy Hill's canned z/d to
          the vet this morning (since he continued to refuse to
          eat it - smart cat!), and am keeping Hobo just on his
          dry Hill's until I find a place that sells Natural
          Balance or will order it for me. He continues to do
          well with no vomiting and a good appetite (total of
          1/2-3/4 cup a day in small meals). I am looking
          forward to switching him to canned in a much slower,
          more planful and hopefully healthier way, so that
          hopefully we won't get a resurgence of symptoms. I
          would much rather spend my money on food than vets!

          Thanks again for your support,
          Lisa

          Lisa Locke-Downer, Ph.D.

          http://mail.yahoo.com