Re: Tawny had his biopsy - he is NOT happy

  • MeiLiMom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
      Hello,
      I want to say thank you to everyone who wrote to me about Tawny and his
      collar. I called the vet and told them how much trouble he is having eating and
      drinking, and how hard it is for him to get around since he is blind and can't
      use his whiskers. I asked them if they had a soft fabric collar like so many
      of you suggested and my husband is at the vet right now picking one up. They
      cautioned me to watch him carefully to be sure he can't get after his eye, so
      I am hoping this will work. He will need to wear it for about 6 days until
      his eye heals from the biopsy.

      We are not sure if Tawny also has something inside his nose, or if the eye
      tumor is just pushing blood and gunk through his nose. With the collar on, he
      can't clean his nose and a lot of bloody stuff is coming out of his nose, and
      then crusting over. We decided that if it is SCC and it is just in his eye,
      we will have his eye removed (he doesn't see anyway) but if it is the kind of
      cancer that spreads easily to lungs, etc. we will just make him comfortable.
      He is diabetic and blind and 14 years old.

      Tawny also has bad teeth, so while he was anesthetized for the biopsy, the
      vet got a good look in his mouth and did not see any cancer in there. If it is
      SCC and we are having his eye removed, do you think we should have teeth
      pulled as well? They were recommending this before we knew about the tumor.
      Would that be putting him through too much at one time?

      I added a picture of Tawny to Roo's webpage at
      _www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html_ (http://www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html) I just took
      the picture today so he has his original collar on and you can see the gunk at
      his nose. I keep cleaning this off, but it keeps coming back.

      Thanks again for all your help!! We are praying for all the kitties and moms
      (and dads) on the lists.

      Kim R ~ Mom to Kaitlyn Taomei & Jessica Taoli ~ 10 year old identical twins
      from Nanchang, Jiangxi, China ~ and Ashley Heejung ~ 5 years old from S.
      Korea ~

      Also Mom to furbabies ~ Tawny, kitty 14, diabetic, blind, and possible SCC
      cancer of the eye, Baby Roo, kitty 1, radial hypoplasia of both arms and
      hopefully recovered from congestive heart failure, Boo Boo , kitty 7 amputated
      tail, Meggy, Golden Retriever rescue 5, hard of hearing, and Angel Johann,
      Golden Retriever waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - died at age 7 from a brain
      tumor that caused blindness and seizures

      ~ Please visit Our Adoption Stories ~ http://www.ouradoptionstories.com ~