Pepper's 6-month recheck

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3 12:00 PM
      Pepper went for her recheck this morning. Her regular vet saw her last week and the bloodwork showed her kidney values creeping up so they were right at or above the "normal" range. That's why this appointment was scheduled. Today she had x-rays and an echo.

      Her cardiologist said that her heart disease had progressed "significantly". Six months ago both her left atrium and ventricle were enlarged. Now the right side is enlarged also. Her atria and ventricles are not beating in sync (disassociated) and she's collecting fluid outside her lungs whereas before it was only inside her lungs. The fluid outside the lungs (pleural effusion) is harder to treat with medication. This makes her a candidate for a chest tap but it's not that bad yet.

      Up till today she's been getting 60mg lasix (20mg TID); 25mg atenolol (12.5mg BID); 5mg enalapril (2.5mg BID). We will be gradually eliminating her atenolol and adding in 12.5mg spirinolactone (6.25mg BID).

      She will be going back for a re-check in two weeks. At that time she'll have x-rays, another echo and blood work done. They may put her on a different beta-blocker and maybe a different diuretic depending on her progress.

      From the outside, she looks fantastic!

      Please keep her in your thoughts.

      Sue

    • Brian and Kelly
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3 2:53 PM
        Sue,

        We will definetely keep you and Pepper in your thoughts and prayers!

        Our hearts still ache from our recent loss of Johnny and ache even
        more when we hear of the other beloved ones that are still fighting.

        Love them with all your heart while they are here, love knowing
        they've been loved when they must go!

        Blessings,
        Brian and Kelly

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...> wrote:

        > Pepper went for her recheck this morning. Her regular vet saw her
        last week and the bloodwork showed her kidney values creeping up so
        they were right at or above the "normal" range. That's why this
        appointment was scheduled. Today she had x-rays and an echo.

        > Her cardiologist said that her heart disease had
        progressed "significantly". Six months ago both her left atrium and
        ventricle were enlarged. Now the right side is enlarged also. Her
        atria and ventricles are not beating in sync (disassociated) and
        she's collecting fluid outside her lungs whereas before it was only
        inside her lungs. The fluid outside the lungs (pleural effusion) is
        harder to treat with medication. This makes her a candidate for a
        chest tap but it's not that bad yet.

        > Up till today she's been getting 60mg lasix (20mg TID); 25mg
        atenolol (12.5mg BID); 5mg enalapril (2.5mg BID). We will be
        gradually eliminating her atenolol and adding in 12.5mg
        spirinolactone (6.25mg BID).

        > She will be going back for a re-check in two weeks. At that time
        she'll have x-rays, another echo and blood work done. They may put
        her on a different beta-blocker and maybe a different diuretic
        depending on her progress.

        > From the outside, she looks fantastic!
        >
        > Please keep her in your thoughts.
        >

        > Sue

      • Lisa Clarizia
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4 9:13 AM
          Hi Sue,

          It sounds like she may be progressing to the DCM end of the spectrum. The
          spiro will likely help significantly with the PE, Baby Boy was on the
          lasix-spiro combo and it worked very well for him.

          I wish it had been better news for you, but thank goodness she's still
          enjoying good 'clinical' health. In the end, that's all that matters. Good
          thoughts and prayers going your way!

          Lisa