a funny thing happened last night...

  • Tanya Elder
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
      So, I was in the "End of Life Support Group" that I've been going to
      at my vet since Thanksgiving, and I mentioned that there was a sad
      little kitten in the front of the adoption center in the vet's. The
      next thing you know, the kitty was sitting in my lap, and sat there
      for the next hour and a half. She's less than six months old and
      doesn't like other kitties, so she's been by herself for a few weeks
      now.

      I don't know how it happened, but I am now fostering a kitty exactly
      one week after my lovey girl passed away. Literally, the foster kitty
      got to my house to the moment that Zanz passed away last Thursday.

      I'm not sure if I'll keep her, but it was awfully nice to have her in
      the house, though of course, she's been under the bed since she got
      there. Her name is Pikea, but I think I'd change that if I kept her.

      How long will it take her to come out from under the bed?

      Anyway, I thought you'd all like to know. She's on l-lysine paste for
      runny eyes, and the only thing that is abnormal is a little distended
      belly, but they don't know what's up with that. She isn't showing any
      signs of any other horrific diseases and does not have a heart
      murmur. She's the quietest kitty I've ever been around. I only had
      sawdust kitty litter at home last night, and she wasn't use to it...
      so she dug into one of my plants and went potty last night... and I
      didn't hear her at all!!! I live in a studio apartment. She's as
      quiet as a mouse! I got regular kitty litter today and put it in the
      box and hope she uses it... I can only imagine what is going on in my
      apartment right now!

      Last night, she did not once try to get up out of my lap while in the
      meeting at the vet's, just sat there. Maybe she's depressed? Who
      knows...
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
        Sounds like she needs understanding. love and patience. Might just be a
        match made in heaven - literally :)

        On Friday, February 3, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Tanya Elder wrote:

        > So, I was in the "End of Life Support Group" that I've been going to
        > at my vet since Thanksgiving, and I mentioned that there was a sad
        > little kitten in the front of the adoption center in the vet's. The
        > next thing you know, the kitty was sitting in my lap, and sat there
        > for the next hour and a half. She's less than six months old and
        > doesn't like other kitties, so she's been by herself for a few weeks
        > now.
        >
        > I don't know how it happened, but I am now fostering a kitty exactly
        > one week after my lovey girl passed away. Literally, the foster kitty
        > got to my house to the moment that Zanz passed away last Thursday.
        >
        > I'm not sure if I'll keep her, but it was awfully nice to have her in
        > the house, though of course, she's been under the bed since she got
        > there. Her name is Pikea, but I think I'd change that if I kept her.
        >
        > How long will it take her to come out from under the bed?
        >
        > Anyway, I thought you'd all like to know. She's on l-lysine paste for
        > runny eyes, and the only thing that is abnormal is a little distended
        > belly, but they don't know what's up with that. She isn't showing any
        > signs of any other horrific diseases and does not have a heart
        > murmur. She's the quietest kitty I've ever been around. I only had
        > sawdust kitty litter at home last night, and she wasn't use to it...
        > so she dug into one of my plants and went potty last night... and I
        > didn't hear her at all!!! I live in a studio apartment. She's as
        > quiet as a mouse! I got regular kitty litter today and put it in the
        > box and hope she uses it... I can only imagine what is going on in my
        > apartment right now!
        >
        > Last night, she did not once try to get up out of my lap while in the
        > meeting at the vet's, just sat there. Maybe she's depressed? Who
        > knows...
        >

        > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
        > reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to
        > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        <image.tiff>

        <image.tiff>

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > +  Visit your group "feline-heart" on the web.

        <image.tiff>

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
          Tanya,

          I think your Angel Zanzi is sending you a friend! If you need any encouragement in keeping her, here goes... KEEP HER, KEEP HER, KEEP HER! It sounds like she needs to get used to companionship which may be what you need yourself now. I am not trying to be pushy, really, but I hope things go well with the new kitten. Give her a day or two to get used to her new surroundings and maybe try to get her to play with string or a laser light, if you have it. All of my kitties go crazy for the laser light, even my RCM - kitty, Alec, so we try to play with that when he's not around.

          Leah and her cats

          Tanya Elder <elderta_2001@...> wrote:
[...]

          Cat health insurance Cat health care Pet health cat Cat health Heart conditions Health problem in cat

          ---------------------------------

        • Paula
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
            Like the others, I don't want to put pressure on you, but I also say
            Keep Her!

            Give the kitten some time to realize that she's safe, warm, and can
            trust you - and she'll blossom. After all, it sounds like she chose
            you to be hers - and I've no doubt that sweet Zanzi had a little paw
            in this.

            Let us know how you two are doing.

            Hugs and purrs,

            Paula

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Tanya Elder" <elderta_2001@...>
            wrote:

            > So, I was in the "End of Life Support Group" that I've been going to
            > at my vet since Thanksgiving, and I mentioned that there was a sad
            > little kitten in the front of the adoption center in the vet's. The
            > next thing you know, the kitty was sitting in my lap, and sat there
            > for the next hour and a half. She's less than six months old and
            > doesn't like other kitties, so she's been by herself for a few weeks
            > now.
            >
            > I don't know how it happened, but I am now fostering a kitty exactly
            > one week after my lovey girl passed away. Literally, the foster kitty
            > got to my house to the moment that Zanz passed away last Thursday.
            >
            > I'm not sure if I'll keep her, but it was awfully nice to have her in
            > the house, though of course, she's been under the bed since she got
            > there. Her name is Pikea, but I think I'd change that if I kept her.
            >
            > How long will it take her to come out from under the bed?
            >
            > Anyway, I thought you'd all like to know. She's on l-lysine paste for
            > runny eyes, and the only thing that is abnormal is a little distended
            > belly, but they don't know what's up with that. She isn't showing any
            > signs of any other horrific diseases and does not have a heart
            > murmur. She's the quietest kitty I've ever been around. I only had
            > sawdust kitty litter at home last night, and she wasn't use to it...
            > so she dug into one of my plants and went potty last night... and I
            > didn't hear her at all!!! I live in a studio apartment. She's as
            > quiet as a mouse! I got regular kitty litter today and put it in the
            > box and hope she uses it... I can only imagine what is going on in my
            > apartment right now!
            >
            > Last night, she did not once try to get up out of my lap while in the
            > meeting at the vet's, just sat there. Maybe she's depressed? Who
            > knows...

          • Sue at MAGDRL
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
              Tanya,

              Maybe Zanz is sending her your way.

              As for the distended tummy, either she just pigged out or it could be that
              she has intestinal parasites. That could account for her lack of energy.

              Sue

              > So, I was in the "End of Life Support Group" that I've been going to
              > at my vet since Thanksgiving, and I mentioned that there was a sad
              > little kitten in the front of the adoption center in the vet's. The
              > next thing you know, the kitty was sitting in my lap, and sat there
              > for the next hour and a half. She's less than six months old and
              > doesn't like other kitties, so she's been by herself for a few weeks
              > now.
              >
              > I don't know how it happened, but I am now fostering a kitty exactly
              > one week after my lovey girl passed away. Literally, the foster kitty
              > got to my house to the moment that Zanz passed away last Thursday.
              >
              > I'm not sure if I'll keep her, but it was awfully nice to have her in
              > the house, though of course, she's been under the bed since she got
              > there. Her name is Pikea, but I think I'd change that if I kept her.
              >
              > How long will it take her to come out from under the bed?
              >
              > Anyway, I thought you'd all like to know. She's on l-lysine paste for
              > runny eyes, and the only thing that is abnormal is a little distended
              > belly, but they don't know what's up with that. She isn't showing any
              > signs of any other horrific diseases and does not have a heart
              > murmur. She's the quietest kitty I've ever been around. I only had
              > sawdust kitty litter at home last night, and she wasn't use to it...
              > so she dug into one of my plants and went potty last night... and I
              > didn't hear her at all!!! I live in a studio apartment. She's as
              > quiet as a mouse! I got regular kitty litter today and put it in the
              > box and hope she uses it... I can only imagine what is going on in my
              > apartment right now!
              >
              > Last night, she did not once try to get up out of my lap while in the
              > meeting at the vet's, just sat there. Maybe she's depressed? Who
              > knows...

            • Tanya Elder
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
                Maybe Zanz is sending her my way... though goodness knows Zanzi didn't
                like other kitties... at all! :)

                I think they did check for worms, but I'll get a fuller understanding
                if I go ahead and keep her. I don't remember whether they said that she
                had had worms or not. She is quite adorable, that's for sure!

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...> wrote:

                > Tanya,
                >
                > Maybe Zanz is sending her your way.
                >
                > As for the distended tummy, either she just pigged out or it could be
                that
                > she has intestinal parasites. That could account for her lack of
                energy.

                > Sue
              • protectanimals
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Tanya,

                  How wonderful of you to foster and give this little girl a chance!
                  Whether or not you keep her, sounds like you can help each other heal
                  right now....

                  Thinking of you....Meredith with Monkey

                  wrote:
                  .> I don't know how it happened, but I am now fostering a kitty exactly
                  > one week after my lovey girl passed away. Literally, the foster kitty
                  > got to my house to the moment that Zanz passed away last Thursday.
                • diane
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2006
                    At 8:15 PM +0000 2/3/06, Tanya Elder wrote:
                    >Maybe Zanz is sending her my way... though goodness knows Zanzi didn't
                    >like other kitties... at all! :)

                    But Zanzi knew *you* like kitties! ;)

                    Diane
                  • Lisa Clarizia
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
                      [whispers]keepherkeepherkeepherkeepherkeepherkeepher[/whispers]

                      Well, it sounds like this kitty doesn't like other kitties either ... which
                      may be why Zanzi sent her to you, because she knew it would be perfect for
                      her AND you, since you can realistically only house one kitty. She wouldn't
                      have picked a zoo like MY house to send Pikea (?) nor would she have sent a
                      company-loving kitty like my Morsel to you.

                      It's an odd situation when we lose a pet ... so different from when we lose
                      a human. It's not like you can run down to the shelter and adopt yourself
                      another parent or sibling or whatever after a human death, so you don' t
                      have the same 'replacement' guilt. I suppose the closest analogy is dating
                      again after you lose a spouse.

                      I always say though that we're not 'replacing' anything and that the best
                      way to honor a departed kitty's memory is to give the same good home to
                      another kitty or kitties ... when you're ready. That time varies. I got
                      Morsel three days after Baby Boy died, and I was planning to wait a little
                      longer than that but I think the Rare White Panther with Black Spots had a
                      hand in it, because he knew his mama would lose her mind if she didn't have
                      something to focus on. In this case, it was a little abandoned orange
                      kitten with ear mites and an upper respiratory infection.

                      You just never know ... but Zanzibar loved you and wouldn't want you to be
                      alone without a kitty to love you here on earth. Now that she's free of the
                      limitations of her earthly body, Zanzibar can work miracles, not only for
                      you but also for a shy little kittycat who needs a quiet home and one-on-one
                      attention -- a home she might not have otherwise found.

                      Lisa

                      On 2/3/06, Tanya Elder <elderta_2001@...> wrote:

                      > Maybe Zanz is sending her my way... though goodness knows Zanzi didn't
                      > like other kitties... at all! :)

                    • Ruthie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
                        Give her some time. Our newest cat is skiddish, very skiddish. If she does
                        come out while you're there, encourage her, see if you can find something
                        she likes and do it. Eventually she'll come out of her shell

                        Ruthie and the crew.

                        The easiest way to figure the cost of living is to take your income and
                        add ten percent.

                        Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.