Tawny had his biopsy - he is NOT happy

  • MeiLiMom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hello,
      Tawny had the biopsy of his eye today and is home and feeling fine, but the
      Elizabethan collar they put on him is driving him crazy! He has to wear it
      for 6 days. Tawny is mostly blind and diabetic so he is thirsty all the time,
      but can't see or smell if there is water in the dish. He usually puts a paw in
      the dish and drinks from his paw, but he can't do that with the collar. He
      has a water fountain that he loves to drink from, because he can hear the
      water running. He also jumps in the tub and meows for someone to turn on the
      water, but the only way he can get the water now is to let it run into the collar
      and lap it up. He has himself soaking wet. He is having trouble eating as
      well, but will gobble up the food if I put it near his nose. He cries for me to
      come feed him. Does anyone have any words of advice about this collar on a
      blind cat?

      Thank you!

      Kim R ~ Mom to Kaitlyn Taomei & Jessica Taoli ~ 10 year old identical twins
      from Nanchang, Jiangxi, China ~ and Ashley Heejung ~ 5 years old from S.
      Korea ~

      Also Mom to furbabies ~ Tawny, kitty 14, diabetic, blind, and possible SCC
      cancer of the eye, Baby Roo, kitty 1, radial hypoplasia of both arms and
      hopefully recovered from congestive heart failure, Boo Boo , kitty 7 amputated
      tail, Meggy, Golden Retriever rescue 5, hard of hearing, and Angel Johann,
      Golden Retriever waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - died at age 7 from a brain
      tumor that caused blindness and seizures

      ~ Please visit Our Adoption Stories ~ http://www.ouradoptionstories.com ~
      And Baby Roo's page at _www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html_
      (http://www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html)

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
        I don't know much about these collars but it sounds like it may be too big for him. Shouldn't they still be short enough for them to be able to get food and water? Your poor baby, I can picture him from what you wrote and my heart breaks for him. I hope things work out OK for you two!

        Leah and her cats

        MeiLiMom@... wrote:
[...]

        Cat health insurance Cat health care Pet health cat Cat health Heart conditions Health problem in cat

      • Crystal Seelig
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
          Hi,
          Sorry I have not written lately but I got a job at my vet hosp in
          fountain valley and plus chubby with his cancer and school. well we found
          out not only does chubby have lymphoma he also has a heart murmur and it is
          getting worse.
        • protectanimals
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
            I love Sue's story, voluntary compliance is always the best!

            Another idea is to check with your vet and see if it's ok to
            periodically take the e-collar off for eating and drinking purposes,
            under strict supervision by you to make sure there's no messing with
            the eye....

            Good luck.....Merediht with Monkey

          • MeiLiMom@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
              Hello,
              I want to say thank you to everyone who wrote to me about Tawny and his
              collar. I called the vet and told them how much trouble he is having eating and
              drinking, and how hard it is for him to get around since he is blind and can't
              use his whiskers. I asked them if they had a soft fabric collar like so many
              of you suggested and my husband is at the vet right now picking one up. They
              cautioned me to watch him carefully to be sure he can't get after his eye, so
              I am hoping this will work. He will need to wear it for about 6 days until
              his eye heals from the biopsy.

              We are not sure if Tawny also has something inside his nose, or if the eye
              tumor is just pushing blood and gunk through his nose. With the collar on, he
              can't clean his nose and a lot of bloody stuff is coming out of his nose, and
              then crusting over. We decided that if it is SCC and it is just in his eye,
              we will have his eye removed (he doesn't see anyway) but if it is the kind of
              cancer that spreads easily to lungs, etc. we will just make him comfortable.
              He is diabetic and blind and 14 years old.

              Tawny also has bad teeth, so while he was anesthetized for the biopsy, the
              vet got a good look in his mouth and did not see any cancer in there. If it is
              SCC and we are having his eye removed, do you think we should have teeth
              pulled as well? They were recommending this before we knew about the tumor.
              Would that be putting him through too much at one time?

              I added a picture of Tawny to Roo's webpage at
              _www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html_ (http://www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html) I just took
              the picture today so he has his original collar on and you can see the gunk at
              his nose. I keep cleaning this off, but it keeps coming back.

              Thanks again for all your help!! We are praying for all the kitties and moms
              (and dads) on the lists.