Re: frontlne

  • howdeeeyall@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      I recently read (in this group, I think) that all borates are somewhat toxic
      to cats. Is anyone aware of how much caution should be used with borates
      around cats?

      *****************
      Rosemary said: There are a couple of products with low mammalian toxicity
      that can help
      control pre-adult fleas indoors. One is a borate product, eg
      www.fleabusters.com.
      Another is an insect growth regulator (eg Precor or Nylar); these are
      available from pest-control stores and online suppliers and prevent
      pre-adult pests
      from maturing (adulticides, which target adult fleas, are more toxic and
      carry
      more risk...even tho pest-control people often recommend them).
      *************************

      IGRs do seem to work well to control pest insects, but they are very
      dangerous for the environment. I read a study that showed even a very small amount
      in a body of water causes severe deformities in frogs, etc. So if you use an
      IGR, please don't let it get into the water system, outdoor ground water,
      etc.
      Rosemary said:
      For outdoors,
      there are beneficial nematodes that prey on pests and will remain in an
      environment as long as there are pest hosts. Steinernema carpocapsae is the
      species
      that preys on fleas. Both IGRs and beneficial nematodes can be applied with
      hand-held sprayer.
      **************************

      Again, using IGRs outside is dangerous for many species in the environment.
      I would not do it. The amount needed to cause deformities in fish and
      amphibians in a large body of water is very tiny. IGRs should only be used with
      extreme caution, indoors, and not washed down the drain, etc.

      Rosemary said:
      For the cat...thorough and frequent combing (like 1x/day) with a
      fine-toothed
      flea comb works very well at eliminating adults. Simply dunk any adult fleas
      captured on the comb in a bowl of soapy hot water; they drown instantly.
      There
      are very few nontoxic choices for on-animal control, as most contain either
      synthetic chemicals or essential oils. One of the least risky options is
      Buck
      Mountain Botanicals Parasite Dust, available thru vets and online (thru
      veterinary suppliers)...and with regular combing, it's possible to use just
      a very
      small amt of this product, just around the belly and ears/neck where adults
      tend
      to feed on cats (ie, you don't need to dust the whole cat). // Rosemary
      Parasite Dust sounds interesting. Have you used it with good results?

      Judith