Introducing Bo

  • Barbara Kraus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2006
      Hi all,

      I have a new cat named Bo who has been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I got Bo in December after the death of my almost-19yo cat, Sprite. Bo is 10 years old and a Hurricane Katrina evacuee. He came to the SPCA in Dallas on October 5 as part of a shipment of 50 cats. Almost 90% of the cats were reunited with their owners but Bo was not one of them.

      I want to share the results of Bo's ultrasound - I don't yet know the definitions of everything. Below is the diagnosis from the radiologist:

      "Bo presented with a 3/6 murmur. The radiographs of the thorax showed generalized cardiomegaly. The left atrium was prominent and the trachea and left mainstem bronchus were dorsally displaced. The pulmonary vessels were within normal limits. The trachea and major airways were within normal limits. Diffuse bronchointestitial markings were seen throughout the lungs."

      Test / Normal Range / Bo

      LVIDd / 10.8 - 21.4 / cannot read
      LVIDs / 4.0 - 11.2 / 5
      STd / 3.0 - 06.0 / 10
      STs / 4.0 - 09.0 / 11
      LVPWd / 2.5 - 06.0 / 7
      LVPWs / 4.3 - 09.8 / 11
      AO / 3.6 - 12.1 / 11
      LA / 7.0 - 17.0 / 17
      LA:OA ratio / .88 - 1.79 / 1.63
      FS / 40 - 67% / 67%
      HR / <200 bpm

      "Conclusions and Comments: Bo has thickening of the left ventricular septum and left ventricular free wall. The radiographci and sonographic findings are compatible with a diagnosis of hypertropic cardiomyopathy."

      Notes my vet made on the printout of the ultrasound:

      Test / Normal Range / Bo

      Free Wall / 4 - 5.5mm / 8mm
      Fractional Shortening = Contractility = Function / 35 - 55% / 67%
      LA:OA ratio / < 1.6 / 1.36

      Bo has been put on benazapril (Lotensin), 2.5mgs per day.

      Exactly what does all this mean in layman's terms? How advanced is Bo's condition? Is benazapril the only therapy appropriate at this stage?

      Thanks in advance for any help!

      Best,

      Barbara

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2006
        Barbara Kraus <bjkraus@...> wrote: Hi all,

        I have a new cat named Bo who has been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I got Bo in December after the death of my almost-19yo cat, Sprite. Bo is 10 years old and a Hurricane Katrina evacuee.
        I want to share the results of Bo's ultrasound - I don't yet know the definitions of everything. Below is the diagnosis from the radiologist:

        "Bo presented with a 3/6 murmur. The radiographs of the thorax showed generalized cardiomegaly.

        Cardiomegaly means that the silhouette of the heart shows enlargement.

        The left atrium was prominent

        If they are saying the LA is enlarged this means he could be at a greater risk for clots than a cat without LA enlargement.

        and the trachea and left mainstem bronchus were dorsally displaced. The pulmonary vessels were within normal limits. The trachea and major airways were within normal limits. Diffuse bronchointestitial markings were seen throughout the lungs."

        "Conclusions and Comments: Bo has thickening of the left ventricular septum and left ventricular free wall. The radiographci and sonographic findings are compatible with a diagnosis of hypertropic cardiomyopathy."

        Bo has been put on benazapril (Lotensin), 2.5mgs per day.

        Exactly what does all this mean in layman's terms? How advanced is Bo's condition? Is benazapril the only therapy appropriate at this stage?

        The fact that Bo is not on lasix suggests that Bo is not in congestive heart failure and means he is considered to be asymptomatic. Benazapril is an ACE-Inhibitor. That Bo is not on either a calcium channel blocker or a beta-blockers suggests that his heart rate is not too fast (tachycardia)

        Has hyperT been ruled out?

        Hope this helps

        Susan

      • Barbara Kraus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2006
          Thanks much, Susan. Bo is asymptomatic and does not have hyper-t. Does all this mean that Bo is relatively early in the process? Has lotensin been shown to slow down the progression of heart disease? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in terms of progression of his cardiomyopathy? How often should I have him checked by the vet? He feels fine, has good appetite, and likes to play as much as any 10yo...

          Thanks again,

          Barbara

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "feline-heart" on the web.