My Widgie/thanks

  • zellene.sandler@po.state.ct.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2001
      Thanks to all of you for the great response...I am going to speak
      with the vet this morning...they are waiting for a test result for
      heartworm. I'm reasonably sure she doesn't have this, but this vet is
      meticulous. She doesn't feel heart medication is needed. It is
      Widgie's lungs that are the big concern now. Widgie has a partially
      collapsed lung, and she's had a chronic bronchitis for years and
      years and sometimes they say it's not asthma, sometimes maybe, etc.
      It has never gotten really awful. The vet gave her Baytril this time
      and wants her to stay on for 3 weeks. She also wants to do a tracheal
      wash to definitively tell what's wrong; but I have grave reservations
      about doing this to a 15 year old kitty.
      They also noticed some arthritis due to an old injury, which may
      explain her reluctance to move around a lot. Started her on Cosequin,
      which is natural glucosamin. Widgie is in good spirits now, purring
      and playing catch the thingee, where she doesn't have to run around.

      I was thinking of saying to the vet, instead of doing that invasive
      test, why not try her on inhaled steroids, which is what I take for
      asthma. Inhaled steroids shouldn't affect her heart, should they? I
      was considering pred for her, since it would also help her arthritis,
      but not after reading your posts. Any input on this?

      I'm on the feline asthma list and will post there, too.

    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2001
        i will keep you and your widgie in my thoughts and prayers.

        linda and the boys