Remedies for vet visits' stress

  • MDeniseA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2001
      There are a couple of homeopathic remedies I have used with much success to
      help alleviate stress when I take my Josh to the vet. The first one is
      gelsemium. It is to be given before the appointment (about an hour or two
      before). It is particularly useful when the cat shakes with fear and may
      urinate on itself because it is so scared, but I have found even if Josh is
      not having such severe symptoms, it always helps to give
      him a dose of this. If the cat has been already to the vet and comes home
      traumatized you can give him/her a dose of aconite after the appointment. It
      works
      really well for fear that follows a traumatic shock or accident. Give a dose
      every 15 minutes until the cat is calmed (4-6 doses maximum).
      Homeopathic remedies can be purchased at most health food stores. They come
      either in tablet, pill or liquid form. For cats, I recommend a potency of 30C
      for the gelsemium and 6x or 6C for the aconite. But any of these potencies
      will not hurt.
      If you can only find aconite in a 30C only give 2-3 doses maximum. Take 2-3
      pellets or if you're using tablets, one tablet, and crush them onto a clean
      saucer with the back of a clean spoon. Either put a little bit of milk on
      them or you can mix them with a little bit of butter. The idea is to make the
      cat lick the remedy so it is absorbed through the membranes in his/her mouth.
      The pills taste a little sweet with no bitterness. If you are using liquid,
      mix a couple of drops with about a teaspoon of milk. Let this sit for a few
      minutes so some of the alcohol can evaporate since that makes it taste bad to
      the kitty and then let him/her lick it. You can also do this with Rescue
      Remedy, which is a Bach flower remedy also sold in health food stores.
      Any of these remedies are great for stress at any time, but I have found the
      dose of gelsemium BEFORE the vet visit works extremely well for Josh. If you
      are interested in finding out more about homeopathic remedies for cats, there
      are a few books out there that are pretty interesting. These remedies have
      worked well and I hope they can help your cats during stressful times.