Spud--weight loss

  • gcatsndogs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
      Spud's weight is continuing to decline. He weighed 13.10 lbs. on
      Feb. 5. He weighed 12.60 on March 12 (and his tummy was EMPTY for an
      abdominal ultrasound). Today he weighed 12.20.
      His T-4 was normal as of March 12. BUN 88, Creatinine 4.6. He
      currently takes amlodipine, diltiazem, and potassium citrate daily.
      We do fluids twice a day, and we do pulse therapy antibiotics 5 days a
      month.

      He continues to enjoy eating.

      Any ideas as to the weight loss trend--besides the fact that we are 4+
      years past his CRF diagnosis?

      Rachel and Spud
      Chattanooga
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
        Hi Rachel,

        Have you had his free T4 tested? Kassy's T4 is always normal, but when she
        has a period of weight loss, we always find her free T4 is up. In older
        cats, the T4 is not always reliable.

        Laura

        >Spud's weight is continuing to decline. He weighed 13.10 lbs. on
        >Feb. 5. He weighed 12.60 on March 12 (and his tummy was EMPTY for an
        >abdominal ultrasound). Today he weighed 12.20.
        >His T-4 was normal as of March 12. BUN 88, Creatinine 4.6. He
        >currently takes amlodipine, diltiazem, and potassium citrate daily.
        >We do fluids twice a day, and we do pulse therapy antibiotics 5 days a
        >month.
        >
        >He continues to enjoy eating.
        >
        >Any ideas as to the weight loss trend--besides the fact that we are 4+
        >years past his CRF diagnosis?
        >
        >Rachel and Spud
        >Chattanooga

      • Cynthia Rausch
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
          gcatsndogs@... wrote:
          Any ideas as to the weight loss trend--besides the fact that we
          are 4+ years past his CRF diagnosis?

          Hi Rachel and Spud,

          Did your vet do a TC02 test? This blood test tell you whether or
          not your kitty has metabolic acidosis. The normals are 16 to 25,
          so if your kitty is under the normals their are treatments for this.

          Most crf kitty's have muscle wasting do to the lower protein food
          and fluids that they receive.

          You could also start by adding fat to the diet. Cats are not the
          same as humans and high cholesterol is not a concern for adding
          fat to the diet.

          I hope this helps,

          Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel