Re: [FH] thank you for food advice

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
      Andrea,

      When you get switched over to canned food, she will lose weight. Between
      treating her heart disease and switching to canned, Pepper lost over 3
      pounds in about 6-8 months. She went from 18+ to 14-3/4 pounds.

      As Susan suggested, you could try Solid Gold's tuna too -
      http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=10&code=240.

      Solid gold also makes a cat food that's a blend with fish
      http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=69&code=232

      They also have a store locater on their web site.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
        Related to the weight problem, once cats get the "paunch" in their belly, can they lose any of it?

        > From: Sue at MAGDRL <susan@...>
        > Date: 2006/01/04 Wed PM 08:23:47 EST
        > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [FH] thank you for food advice

        Darlene E. Handley
        Mom to Boone the tuxedo kitty - the gremlin head: what a soul he had. Boone Esau-Handley: April 2001-Dec 2005. May he rest in peace. And Spook - 1980 - 1998 - what a journey we had. Both are dearly missed.
        http://www.protecttheseals.org

      • Shannon
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
          Absolutely! But they need some skin hanging there to allow stretching room
          when they run.

          Shannon
          Daisy: Maine Coon mix, 4-1/2 years old, diagnosed at age 1-1/2, asymptomatic
          HCM, 6.25 mg atenolol daily
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
            That probably depends on the cat. Pepper had just turned 11 two months
            before she was switched and was 18+ pounds. She lost over 3 pounds but her
            tummy still hangs low. That was 14 months ago. I don't think she's going
            to lose her belly since she's inactive. Maybe a younger, more active cat
            could tighten up - just like people.

            Sue

            > Related to the weight problem, once cats get the "paunch" in their belly,
            can they lose any of it?

          • Terri Womack

              > Related to the weight problem, once cats get the "paunch" in their belly,
              can they lose any of it?

              ---------------------------------

            • Sue at MAGDRL
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
                Terri,

                There were two things that contributed to her weight loss - switching to
                canned, and going on diuretics to control the fluid - nothing else. So most
                of the weight loss was from the food switch.

                Sue

              • dehandley@cox.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Sue

                  I am having a hard time going totally to canned. I am about half and half now. My heart guy Helmet concerns me because unless I can get his teeth brushed a few times a week - I am worried that the canned food will contribute to poor oral hygiene. And, I am worried about getting his teeth cleaned and putting him under - even with safe anesthesia. I live in AZ, and not sure if there are any non-anesthestic's here. I will check. Does anyone have any comments on how I might better brush his teeth by myself? And, let me emphasize, by myself. It's hard enough to do with two people.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
                    That whole thing about canned food contributing to dental problems is an old
                    wives tale. It's actually the opposite - dry food causes more dental
                    problems than anything.

                    First, canned food is a better-quality diet whereas dry food contains grains
                    that cats aren't able to process. The starches in the grains convert to
                    sugars and contribute to plaque buildup on the teeth. Second, there's a
                    second old wives tale about dry food scraping the teeth and keeping them
                    clean. That's simply not true. Scientific studies show that 80% of dry
                    food is swallowed whole. The rest is shattered with one or two bites. If
                    you look at the structure of a cat's teeth, you can see that there are no
                    molars for chewing food like grains. There are only sharp teeth meant for
                    tearing meat. These teeth can only shatter the food. After one or two
                    bites, the cat swallows the nuggets.

                    I don't clean Pepper's teeth since they simply don't need it. And that
                    could be because she's on a canned food diet.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
                      My vet echoes what Sue wrote about the carbs in dry food breaking down into
                      sugar and rotting the teeth. My vet says that expecting dry food to clean a
                      cat's teeth is like expecting pretzels to clean human teeth.....they don't.

                      No matter which food you feed, brushing is important for most cats. I buy
                      pre-moistened pads because with the finger brush I couldn't tell if I was
                      even on the teeth. I wrap the pad around my finger and concentrate on the
                      outside of the molars. Their tongue does a good enough job of cleaning the
                      inside and the front teeth are usually okay. It is difficult and I don't do
                      it enough but with practice becomes easier.