Lucy has periodic coughing jags - any help?

  • devotedpurrent
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
      Lucy has been diagnosed with HCM and is on Cardizen and Benazepril
      (also aspirin). Are either of these supposed to help the cough (which
      I believe is connected to her condition)? Does anyone have any
      suggestions to help ease the cough?

      I want to thank everyone who has given me advice with Lucy's meds.
      Right now I'm crushing them and mixing them with a tiny bit of baby
      food, which I then gently squirt into her mouth (a bit at a time).
      This has worked out the best so far -- she gets annoyed with the
      process but at least is not scared (like when I tried to pill her).

      She's eating better now and seems to enjoy life ... but, at 12, we're
      afraid that we won't have her for very long. She's such a tiny,
      fragile girl and has already come back from the brink a couple of times
      since her diagnosis at the beginning of December.
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        Coughing in heart-kitties is worrisome because it often means there's fluid
        building up in/around the lungs. Is Lucy in CHF? The benazapril will help
        to a certain extent (the aspirin won't, it's for clots) but she may need a
        diuretic besides to help with the coughing. How is her breathing otherwise?

        Lisa

        On 1/2/06, devotedpurrent <devotedpurrent@...> wrote:

        > Lucy has been diagnosed with HCM and is on Cardizen and Benazepril
        > (also aspirin). Are either of these supposed to help the cough (which
        > I believe is connected to her condition)? Does anyone have any
        > suggestions to help ease the cough?

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hi,

          Often a cough associated with HCM is caused by fluid buildup. Lucy may also
          need a diuretic like lasix to control that. Has she seen a cardiologist?

          My girl had just turned 11 when she was diagnosed about 14 months ago.
          She's doing fine with all her meds now despite a few scary times along the
          way. Cats are amazing with their ability to rebound so keep on giving her
          love and care!

          Sue