Re: [FH] Burial - Kitty Casket??

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2005
      I did not know how I would feel about cremation either, but I am very
      happy that I had Grant cremated this year as he will now be able to be
      with me wherever I move. I would strongly urge you to consider it. It
      is not morbid to think of these things. It is just time to think of
      them. There is a difference. Again my condolences.

      Karen and Pearl
      On Thursday, December 29, 2005, at 10:15 PM, Jan wrote:

      > This will sound really morbid, but my kitty who was with me over 17
      > years died today.  I am sure we will not always live in the house we
      > currently live in as I'm sure we will move to the country.  Here is the
      > morbid part:  Is there any type of casket I can bury my kitty in and
      > then when we move, unbury her and take her with me to bury at the new
      > house?  I know this is morbid.  Maybe after a few days I will have
      > another idea, but I can't bear her being away from me.  I'm also not so
      > sure about cremation.  Thanks.

      <image.tiff>

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > +  Visit your group "feline-heart" on the web.

      <image.tiff>

    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 29, 2005
        Jan,

        I would suggest cremation. Baby Boy was cremated and his ashes are in a
        little box with my dog's ashes.

        However, if you prefer burial ... I would suggest putting the box which
        holds the body in a second container, preferably concrete, similar to a
        burial vault. This won't preserve the body but it will hopefully protect
        the box. Even then, the concrete might not hold up, depending on where you
        live (ground water, freeze/thaw etc.).

        Lisa

        On 12/29/05, Jan <toni@...> wrote:

        > This will sound really morbid, but my kitty who was with me over 17
        > years died today. I am sure we will not always live in the house we
        > currently live in as I'm sure we will move to the country. Here is the
        > morbid part: Is there any type of casket I can bury my kitty in and
        > then when we move, unbury her and take her with me to bury at the new
        > house? I know this is morbid. Maybe after a few days I will have
        > another idea, but I can't bear her being away from me. I'm also not so
        > sure about cremation. Thanks.

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2005
          Jan,

          I'm very sorry about Nicki. I completely understand
          your feelings, cremation is the choice for a lot of
          people, but it's not for everyone (including me). I
          live in the country & have always said I can't move
          because my children are buried here. Anyway, when I
          lost my dog, I buried her in one of the big plastic
          storage containers w/ lid that you get at Valu/Home
          Depot/Wal-Mart. I made her a nice bed w/ her favorite
          toys. When I lost my Creampuff kitty, she was buried
          in a metal casket my boyfriend made at work. He said
          any welding place should be willing to do it. He said
          the best would be stainless steel; we couldn't use
          that because at the time with no notice, there wasn't
          any on hand @ work. He said the metal will last a
          very long time & whatever kind it was (sorry I forget
          what he said) it wouldn't rust for probably 50+ years,
          & that the stainless would last forever. I've always
          said that when I go, I want my kids dug up & put with
          me.

          Take care & feel free to drop a line if you want more
          info.

          Dana

          --- Jan <toni@...> wrote:

          > This will sound really morbid, but my kitty who was
          > with me over 17
          > years died today. I am sure we will not always live
          > in the house we
          > currently live in as I'm sure we will move to the
          > country. Here is the
          > morbid part: Is there any type of casket I can bury
          > my kitty in and
          > then when we move, unbury her and take her with me
          > to bury at the new
          > house? I know this is morbid. Maybe after a few
          > days I will have
          > another idea, but I can't bear her being away from
          > me. I'm also not so
          > sure about cremation. Thanks.

          > Jan

          __________________________________
        • turkishangoraathumanesociety
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 31, 2005
            Jan---
            The pople at Cleveland Caskets can help you. They are the nicest
            people I ever dealt with.
            http://www.clevelandcasket.com/pet_caskets.htm
            I got the 22"L x 11"W x 7-1/2"H rectangular "Faithful Friend" casket
            when we thought for sure we were going to lose our sweet Lillie
            during a procedure. Thankfully we did not, but the people overnight
            mailed (at no addtl cost) the casket. I comes with a pretty satin
            liner and pillow...also a sealant to make it airtight. It is
            EXTREMELY tough material. My plan when that awful day should come is
            to wrap the outside of it with some very thick sheets of plastic just
            before burial. My husband has a job that may require us to move
            someday, and I plan to take it with me for reburial. I too, cannot
            bear the though of not having one of my babies with me, and I am
            personally against cremating them. Not against anyone who does that,
            but cremation is something that the thought of horrifies me, so I
            want no part of for myself or kitties, so that's the plan.
            Hope this helps, and sorry you have to go through this.
            --Robin
          • Linda Cuéllar Irrgang
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
              I don’t want to think of it either but I do want to have a beautiful urn so
              I can take Pum with me wherever I go…..many folks here have spoken of
              wonderful urns…..does anyone know of a place to find them?

              Linda

              I did not know how I would feel about cremation either, but I am very
              happy that I had Grant cremated this year as he will now be able to be
              with me wherever I move. I would strongly urge you to consider it. It
              is not morbid to think of these things. It is just time to think of
              them. There is a difference. Again my condolences.

              Karen and Pearl
              On Thursday, December 29, 2005, at 10:15 PM, Jan wrote:

              > This will sound really morbid, but my kitty who was with me over 17
              > years died today. I am sure we will not always live in the house we
              > currently live in as I'm sure we will move to the country. Here is the
              > morbid part: Is there any type of casket I can bury my kitty in and
              > then when we move, unbury her and take her with me to bury at the new
              > house? I know this is morbid. Maybe after a few days I will have
              > another idea, but I can't bear her being away from me. I'm also not so
              > sure about cremation. Thanks.

              Service.

              <image.tiff>

              feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Cat
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health+insurance&w1=Cat+health+insu
              rance&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions
              &w6=Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=jCcdGI6DrfclZUZfEbhKjQ> health
              insurance

              Cat
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health+care&w1=Cat+health+insurance
              &w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=H
              ealth+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=sHAUYnOXqX421iiMASQuIw> health care

              Pet
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Pet+health+cat&w1=Cat+health+insurance&
              w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=He
              alth+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=Lcs7tukQKLtd6OGdgxZoJw> health cat

              Cat
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cat+health&w1=Cat+health+insurance&w2=C
              at+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=Health
              +problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=frCXB-F06hVpm6m8Rmdyvw> health

              Heart
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Heart+conditions&w1=Cat+health+insuranc
              e&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+conditions&w6=
              Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=_zAGI3mljEo4tgsaN5zYFw> conditions

              Health
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Health+problem+in+cat&w1=Cat+health+ins
              urance&w2=Cat+health+care&w3=Pet+health+cat&w4=Cat+health&w5=Heart+condition
              s&w6=Health+problem+in+cat&c=6&s=132&.sig=UASqf76JeCyHxX8J7sXBdA> problem
              in cat

              _____

              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart> " on the web.

              _____

            • dehandley@cox.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                I went to the place where the cremated my Boone. I understand that the ER where he actually passed should have shown us a catalog for Homeword Bound crematorium in Colorado Springs Colorado. I don't think they have a web site up yet though. I called them directly and asked if I could just come by their business and see their supply. They had an excellent selection from anywhere between free and 100.00. I would imagine looking up pet cremation on the internet might find you a selection.

                > From: Linda Cuéllar Irrgang <irrgang@...>
                > Date: 2006/01/02 Mon PM 07:27:37 EST
                > To: "'Karen'" <kchuplis@...>, "'Jan'" <toni@...>
                > CC: <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: RE: [FH] Burial - Kitty Casket??

                Darlene E. Handley
                Mom to Boone the tuxedo kitty - the gremlin head: what a soul he had. Boone Esau-Handley: April 2001-Dec 2005. May he rest in peace. And Spook - 1980 - 1998 - what a journey we had. Both are dearly missed.
                http://www.protecttheseals.org

              • Sue at MAGDRL
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Linda,

                  If you go to www.google.com and do a search for:

                  cats urn

                  You'll get a whole bunch of places that sell urns.

                  Sue

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                    The crematorium that handled Baby Boy sent his (bagged) ashes back in a nice
                    wooden box. They also cremated my dog three years ago and sent *her* ashes
                    (bagged) back in a gold metal can -- she's now in the same box with Baby
                    Boy, though the price was not much different -- I guess they've upgraded.

                    If this helps anyone trust a crematorium to actually do an 'individual
                    cremation' -- Baby Boy had a BB pellet in his back, a souvenir of his
                    stray-cat days (only discovered when he got his first x-ray for the DCM).
                    The crematorium included a note with his ashes indicating a metal object had
                    been removed from the ashes. Which was odd, but comforting.

                    Lisa

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Also, you can cremate your pet with his/her most loved possessions while on earth - besides his/her humans. We wrapped Boone in his favorite down throw, picked about 5-10 toys that he loved - and added 8-10 pictures of his family- his fur-brothers - and fur sister - and of course - his humans. My Mom and I both cut a bit of our hair and put it on his body. Made me feel good to think that a part of us and his family was going with him and would always be with him.

                      > From: Lisa Clarizia <lclarizia@...>
                      >> Subject: Re: [FH] Burial - Kitty Casket??
                      >
                      > The crematorium that handled Baby Boy sent his (bagged) ashes back in a nice
                      > wooden box. They also cremated my dog three years ago and sent *her* ashes
                      > (bagged) back in a gold metal can -- she's now in the same box with Baby
                      > Boy, though the price was not much different -- I guess they've upgraded.
                      >
                      > If this helps anyone trust a crematorium to actually do an 'individual
                      > cremation' -- Baby Boy had a BB pellet in his back, a souvenir of his
                      > stray-cat days (only discovered when he got his first x-ray for the DCM).
                      > The crematorium included a note with his ashes indicating a metal object had
                      > been removed from the ashes. Which was odd, but comforting.
                      >
                      > Lisa
                      >
                      > On 1/2/06, Linda Cuéllar Irrgang <irrgang@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I don't want to think of it either but I do want to have a beautiful urn
                      > > so
                      > > I can take Pum with me wherever I go…..many folks here have spoken of
                      > > wonderful urns…..does anyone know of a place to find them?

                      Darlene E. Handley
                      Mom to Boone the tuxedo kitty - the gremlin head: what a soul he had. Boone Esau-Handley: April 2001-Dec 2005. May he rest in peace. And Spook - 1980 - 1998 - what a journey we had. Both are dearly missed.
                      http://www.protecttheseals.org
                    • jen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                        > I don't want to think of it either but I do want to have a
                        beautiful urn so
                        > I can take Pum with me wherever I go…..many folks here have spoken
                        of
                        > wonderful urns…..does anyone know of a place to find them?

                        Linda,

                        I went to a local art shop who does the most beautiful wooden bowls
                        out of solid reclaimed wood to have an urn made for Kira's ashes. I
                        had always loved his work, but couldn't think of how I would use one
                        other than for decoration. He went to the local funeral home and
                        researched urns and designs and made four different one's for me to
                        choose from, different sizes and designs. They were very beautiful
                        and we chose one with a distinctive wood grain pattern. It makes it
                        even more special for us knowing that it was made especially for
                        her. It wasn't cheap, $200 CAD, but it couldn't be more perfect.

                        The shop is in ontario, canada; I'm not sure if they ship stuff, but
                        I'm sure they would. The owner and artisan were both incredibly
                        helpful and kind. Let me know if you would like their info and I
                        can pass it along. I can also send a picture of Kira's urn if you
                        would like.

                        Take care,

                        jen, deagan and angel kira the dog ( I *asked* to be packed into
                        tennis balls!)
                      • Catherine Browning
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Linda Cuéllar Irrgang
                          <irrgang@H...> wrote:

                          > I don't want to think of it either but I do want to have a
                          beautiful urn so
                          > I can take Pum with me wherever I go…..many folks here have spoken
                          of
                          > wonderful urns…..does anyone know of a place to find them?
                          >

                          > Linda

                          Topsy is in a Selangor Pewter Four Seasons Tea Caddy, see the
                          following URLs:

                          http://tinyurl.com/abr2h (short URL)

                          http://www.royalselangor.com/rs2/productdetails.php?ProductS
                          KU=4554&Referer=8%7C0%7C0 (long URL -- goes to same place as short
                          URL)

                          I liked it because it is beautiful and she was beautiful (a maine
                          coon), she lived a long life (through "four seasons", as it were),
                          she was an outdoors cat (so the flowers were appropriate),
                          the "caddy" can be engraved, it's got a good weight to it, and it
                          has a "lid-within-a-lid" so if she were to (heaven forbid!) be
                          tipped, she wouldn't spill.

                          I was told when I bought it that the "large" size is often used for
                          human remains! The links I've given are to the "small" size --
                          sadly perfect for felines.

                          Hope this helps someone!

                          Catherine from Australia