Re: [FH] CRF cat Raja is in emergency...heart murmur, inappetance, lethargy

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      Sue,

      Welcome to the group & my condolences. It's good that you caught his
      problem early and that you're having an ultrasound done. Are you going to
      see a cardiologist? They're best at diagnosing and treating the different
      types of heart disease.

      It sounds like your boy may be in congestive heart failure (CHF) - something
      that can be treated. CHF is caused when the heart doesn't work properly and
      fluid builds up in the body. It can be treated with diuretics. Along with
      clearing up the fluids, the vet will probably prescribe medications to
      control the heart and reduce the strain from HCM.

      If you have trouble giving medications, you can have the medicines
      compounded into various forms including liquids and treats, or you can hide
      the pill in Pill Pockets or in his food.

      A good canned diet will go a long way to help support your cat's health.
      Also, there are many supplements that will help to support your cat's heart
      and general health. Most vets have little knowledge of feline nutrition and
      supplementation. Supplements include CoQ10, omega-3 essential fatty acids,
      DMG or TMG, l-carnetine, l-lysine and probably some that I'm forgetting.

      Side-effects of the medications often include a bit of lethargy - especially
      until your cat adjusts to the medications. You can look up specific ones
      here http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

      My girl was diagnosed with HCM in November 2004 although looking back, I
      know she had it at least a year before that. She's doing pretty well aside
      from sleeping a lot more than she used to. Being sick is hard work!

      Please let us know how you make out.

      Sue