Postscript: about Buttons-Angel

  • Catherine Browning
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hi all,

      We should be collecting Buttons tomorrow, who passed away Dec
      19th ... it's been very hot in Australia -- over 30 degrees celsius -
      - and I've been scared to leave her siblings to collect her,
      together with a 25 year old car which mightn't survive the heat.
      Tomorrow's going to be 38 degrees celsius -- in fact, all the days
      in the near future are going to be around that -- but I just can't
      leave her there any more so will be going in the early AM to
      hopefully avoid the heat.

      But we received the bill yesterday. It was expensive and more than
      we can afford, but it was approximately around what we were told to
      expect, so we've been figuring the finances to accommodate it.

      We were charged for:

      Echcardiography
      Consultation
      Fluids B: iv (standard setup)
      Actilyse infusion
      X-ray A: first plate
      Pathology (idexx): coagulation profile (CBC,
      B: PCV/TP
      D: Blood Glucose
      K: Biochemistry - part profile (1-3 slides)
      Lactate (first)
      Lactate (subs)
      A: Activated clotting time
      Hospitalisation B: 24 hours (level 2 SEAEC)
      Euthanasia A: standard
      Vitamin K (Koagulon) inj 10mg/ml - 1st inj
      Butorphanol Injection - 1st (ml)

      Now most of this I understand, though not the Euthanasia - we
      weren't asked if we wanted her euthanased and were told she passed
      away during treatment - so I'm hoping like hell that this is just an
      error.

      But what has me REALLY confused is the Vitamin K injection. You
      see, I thought that Vitamin E was an anticoagulant, and Vitamin K a
      coagulant. Since she had saddle thrombosis in both rear legs, would
      adding a coagulant be a good idea at that time?

      I'm going to ask for a copy of the report when I'm there tomorrow,
      but I just need to know what to ask. Should I be suspicious about
      ANY of the things I've been billed for? It's not the money I'm
      worried about, but rather the care she received while she was there.

      Thank you!

      Catherine from Australia
      Topsy-Angel, Buttons-Angel, Kitty, Patch, Claude, Tuppenny
    • Susan Burns
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
        hi catherine....so sorry to learn of all these
        additional complications, and i'm hoping that you'll
        get everything explained to your satisfaction so that
        you can put this part of the journey behind
        you....roger rags was on nattokinase (a coagulation
        modulator), and i was told by two different vets to
        purchase a brand with the vitamin k removed
        (nutricology), so as not to add a coagulant where it
        was contraindicated (evidently the bean curd, from
        which natto is derived, is naturally high in vitamin
        k)....since your vets appear to have done both
        coagulation and clotting tests, perhaps they found
        something that indicated a need for the k, but yes, it
        does seem odd.....the euthanasia question, to my mind,
        is huge, and i would ask to speak with the director of
        the facility on that one....do keep us posted and take
        care, susan

        > Euthanasia A: standard
        > Vitamin K (Koagulon) inj 10mg/ml - 1st inj
        > Butorphanol Injection - 1st (ml)
        >
        > Now most of this I understand, though not the
        > Euthanasia - we
        > weren't asked if we wanted her euthanased and were
        > told she passed
        > away during treatment - so I'm hoping like hell that
        > this is just an
        > error.
        >
        > But what has me REALLY confused is the Vitamin K
        > injection. You
        > see, I thought that Vitamin E was an anticoagulant,
        > and Vitamin K a
        > coagulant. Since she had saddle thrombosis in both
        > rear legs, would
        > adding a coagulant be a good idea at that time?

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Linda Cuéllar Irrgang
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          Catherine,

          You should definitely feel free to ask all your questions about the bill.

          Linda

[...]

          A: Activated clotting time
[...]

          feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          _____