asprin

  • rhbutlerjr@worldnet.att.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28 6:13 AM
      Hello i have been reading all your post for sometime. I have had
      2 cats die from this disease. one mr t j died age 5. one speedy
      age 5.5 his sister died . she went in for a paw problem gaver her
      a steroid shot and she started breathing hard. all test were done
      but ulta sound. She threw the big clot in her legs couldnt walk
      and died. The first thing I was told an aspirin might of saved her.
      second only an ultra sound will tell you. Their sister Blackie was
      tested she did not have it. But later Blackie has thorax problems.
      Purdue University hosp put her on RUTIN and said she wouldnt
      live long. One year later our Blackie is fine and having a birtday.
      The last brother is Sockster he has it He has been on atenol and
      .25 baby asprin every 3 days for 1.5years. He runs around like a
      nut and them sleeps. They are all a litter from a ferral com and
      therir mom is fine I think its all from dad. Now I have another
      member who has it. So I hav e 7 cats and 2 have it and one
      another . I my self just went threw all the test are babies do and I
      have a slight weakness. I told the dr I had two cats who died of
      this, he told me I wasnt a cat and it was dif. I do feel like a cat as
      we live with them. so I say no no to the steroid unless you must. I
      havea great dr who has ulra sound machine and he lets me stay
      with the guys when we do it . Sorry so long I feel long i feel like I
      know some of you. As they say Try to relax and enjoy our
      wonderful friens Janie
    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28 6:15 AM
        Hi Janie,
        I am so sorry you have had so much to deal with. The vet at an
        emergency centre gave my Pebbles a steroid / cortisone injection when she
        had cystitis. Pebbles has heart, thyroid and kidney troubles. I will refuse
        any future cortisone injections in the future, unless it is a life
        threatening situation. The vet said it was life threatening because Pebbles
        was blocked from the cystitis and couldn't urinate. But apparently there
        are other treatments that can be given. Anyway, we are lucky that Pebbles
        seems alright from the cortisone injection a month ago.

        http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
        (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

        ----------
        > From: rhbutlerjr@...
        > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [feline-heart] asprin
        > Date: Thursday, 29 March , 2001 0:13
        >
        > Hello i have been reading all your post for sometime. I have had
        > 2 cats die from this disease. one mr t j died age 5. one speedy
        > age 5.5 his sister died . she went in for a paw problem gaver her
        > a steroid shot and she started breathing hard. all test were done
        > but ulta sound. She threw the big clot in her legs couldnt walk
        > and died. The first thing I was told an aspirin might of saved her.
        > second only an ultra sound will tell you. Their sister Blackie was
        > tested she did not have it. But later Blackie has thorax problems.
        > Purdue University hosp put her on RUTIN and said she wouldnt
        > live long. One year later our Blackie is fine and having a birtday.
        > The last brother is Sockster he has it He has been on atenol and
        > .25 baby asprin every 3 days for 1.5years. He runs around like a
        > nut and them sleeps. They are all a litter from a ferral com and
        > therir mom is fine I think its all from dad. Now I have another
        > member who has it. So I hav e 7 cats and 2 have it and one
        > another . I my self just went threw all the test are babies do and I
        > have a slight weakness. I told the dr I had two cats who died of
        > this, he told me I wasnt a cat and it was dif. I do feel like a cat as
        > we live with them. so I say no no to the steroid unless you must. I
        > havea great dr who has ulra sound machine and he lets me stay
        > with the guys when we do it . Sorry so long I feel long i feel like I
        > know some of you. As they say Try to relax and enjoy our
        > wonderful friens Janie

      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28 6:31 AM

          I'm sorry for your losses.

          But I'm a little confused ... what is "this disease"?

          > one mr t j died age 5. one speedy
          > age 5.5 his sister died . she went in for a paw problem gaver her
          > a steroid shot and she started breathing hard. all test were done
          > but ulta sound. She threw the big clot in her legs couldnt walk
          > and died. The first thing I was told an aspirin might of saved her.
          > second only an ultra sound will tell you.

          There is no evidence that using aspirin will reduce the probability of blood
          clots in cats. But most vets recommend it (if there is a real danger of
          clots) since it does have this effect in humans & most cats can tolerate
          aspirin (WHEN GIVEN UNDER A VET'S SUPERVISION).

          Also, as far as I know, an ultrasound can not definitiely diagnose a blood
          clot. The only diagnostic tool I know of is a specialized doppler machine,
          which is expensive & hard to use (& not found in many places).

          --
          JR
          & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28 2:39 PM
            Hi Janie,
            Sounds like you are in good hands with the Purdue folks....every cat is
            different and what workds for one great isn't necesaarily great with the
            next one so you have to be patient and work thru it patiently with your
            vet....

            Good luck,
            Linda and the boys

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 28 2:43 PM
              Hi Jonathan,

              Tell me more abjout the doppler detecting blood clotss you refer to below,
              pls??? Is that the dooppler resonance in the ultrasound machine or is it
              something else that I am unfamilliar with?

              I am always concerned bec of Pum's leg problems....twitching, itching,
              biting them....I wonder if it's arthritis? Someone else ementioned lumbar
              spondylosis and I wondered about that too.....Anyway to check these out
              definitively? I hate to think that Pum might be in arthritis pain and that I
              am doing nothing about it to help alleviate it.....

              Thx for help and insight....

              Linda

              --
              JR
              & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger

            • Laura Penny
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 28 3:23 PM
                Linda,

                An x-ray will clearly show spondylosis. Lucky has it. Kassy also was
                recently dx with spinal arthritis, although I don't know if it is
                spondylosis.

                Laura

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 29 5:38 AM
                  I thought I had some information on this device in an article I had saved.
                  But I looked last night & couldn't find any information on it. My (fuzzy)
                  recollection is that this doppler machine is a specialized machine used to
                  view blood flow rates in an animal's body.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29 3:36 PM
                    thank you...i will ask for an xray when we go to the vet next wk.

                    linda and the boys

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 29 3:57 PM
                      thank you for sharing...i will inquire further with my vet....

                      linda and the boys

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
                        thanks sfor the info.....