re : Aspirin and CRF

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2001
      Hi everyone,
      thank you to all of you who have written about giving aspirin to cats.
      A quick recap for those who missed previous posts. My Pebbles has "mild"
      CRF, hyperthyroidism and mild heart disease caused by the hyperthyroidism.
      She also had a recent back and leg injury. The vet said it is possible
      there is a little arthritis. Aspirin is sometimes given to cats for
      arthritis and to (theoretically) prevent blood clots due to heart disease.
      I think I have decided that for now I do not want to give aspirin to
      Pebbles. My reasons are 1) that there is no scientific proof that aspirin
      prevents blood clots in cats. 2) there is proof that aspirin can have
      side-effects such as stomach lining damage, possible bleeding in the
      stomach, nausea etc., although for some of you, your cats have done very
      well on aspirin. 3) Pebbles is already on three different drugs, one for
      her heart, one for her thyroid, and antibiotics for cystitis. This
      combination seems to be working well for Pebbles at the moment. I am scared
      of upsetting the balance.
      I have heard that Vitamin E also thins the blood in humans, and though
      I have found no proof of it preventing blood clots in cats, the side
      effects (of a correct dose) would have to be minimal. I will ask the vet
      about this. I would rather give Vitamin E than aspirin.
      I am scared that Pebbles may have a blood clot, but I have thought a
      lot about this in recent days, and I think I just have to accept that it
      may happen or then again it may not. Pebbles is happy and contented in
      herself at the moment. This is so important. Also Pebbles' heart disease is
      potentially reversible with treatment of the hyperthyroidism. So that would
      lessen the chance of a blood clot.
      I think we will keep going the way we have been the past few months. I
      just have a very bad feeling about adding aspirin to Pebbles' medications.
      With the other drugs I was very scared of side effects when we started, but
      this is a different feeling altogether that I have, just a very bad feeling
      about the aspirin for Pebbles. It could be just the same fear as before,
      but I don't know. With the Inderal and neo-mercazole there is solid
      evidence that they work (even though they can have side effects), but with
      aspirin there is no evidence of its effectiveness. So for me, the cost and
      benefit ratio is different.
      Thank you all so much for your help and for sharing your thoughts and
      experiences. I am so grateful for the help and support on these groups.

      Love, Voula and Pebbles (I am happy and contented as I am thank you) and
      Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.

      http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
      (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)