Re: hot spots

  • jwarner310@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
      Hi Randi & Elsa,

      Welcome to the group but I am sorry that you need to be here. But,
      hopefully you will find everyone to be as friendly and helpful as I
      have. Without these guys, I would have gone crazy a long time ago!

      I will check with my cardiologist again but he said they were ok up
      until now and since the ultrasound hasn't gotten worse I suspect he
      will still approve it.

      On the antihistamines are you using something like Benadryl? If so I
      think it comes in a liquid. Dom is not a pill taker so we need
      liquids or something formulated to mix with food which used to work
      but after the past few days he won't touch any wet food. Matter of
      fact, when he sees wet food, he goes under the bed and hides. Not a
      good sign! But, for now he is off meds except for the asthma med
      which he is getting injected as there isn't a pharmacy around that
      can get the liquid before Monday. And we will gradually try to find
      something that he may eat. Sigh

      Thanks,
      Jeanne

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Randi C. Cohen" <rcohen@b...> wrote:
      > Hello Everyone -
      >
      > I am new to the list and have appreciated the advice and support
      that you all offer. My cat, Elsa, has HCM. She's about 5 years old
      and is asymptomatic but is on atenolol.

      > Elsa also happens to have "hot spots" too and I have had several
      conversations with our cardiologist about them so I wanted to respond
      to Jeanne. He said not to give her the steroid shot, or anything with
      cortisone in it for that matter. Instead, he has suggested giving her
      antihistamines, especially if I can catch her when she first starts
      licking. The antihistamines can be bought over the counter.